• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2024

MichelleH

Reaction score
From the SPC day 4-8...

Medium-range guidance shows good agreement that another upper trough
will amplify and strengthen around Day 7/Sunday into Day 8/Monday
across the western states and Southwest. As this system ejects over
the southern Plains early next week, inland/northward advance of
low-level moisture should occur across parts of TX and the lower MS
Valley as a surface low quickly deepens across these regions. There
are still some timing differences in the progression of this
pronounced upper trough/low and related surface features. Still,
both forecast instability and deep-layer shear suggest a severe
threat may materialize over parts of central/eastern TX into the
lower MS Valley Monday into Monday night. This area of interest will
be closely monitored for increasing severe potential and
possible/eventual introduction of a 15% severe area pending greater
predictability

Clancy

Reaction score
From the SPC day 4-8...

Medium-range guidance shows good agreement that another upper trough
will amplify and strengthen around Day 7/Sunday into Day 8/Monday
across the western states and Southwest. As this system ejects over
the southern Plains early next week, inland/northward advance of
low-level moisture should occur across parts of TX and the lower MS
Valley as a surface low quickly deepens across these regions. There
are still some timing differences in the progression of this
pronounced upper trough/low and related surface features. Still,
both forecast instability and deep-layer shear suggest a severe
threat may materialize over parts of central/eastern TX into the
lower MS Valley Monday into Monday night. This area of interest will
be closely monitored for increasing severe potential and
possible/eventual introduction of a 15% severe area pending greater
predictability
Yeah, SPC is definitely keeping an eye on this one.

JPWX

Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned about instability levels yet. The way the GFS and Euro have that trough, it would be easier for deep Gulf moisture to be funnel further north especially if the system slows down a bit. Besides it's Dixie we're talking about here. Not tornado alley. Dixie doesn't play by the normal lack of instability rules which for some reason is always the biggest thing that gets harped on. I mean I see why and the reason, but there's other things like wind shear that can compensate for the instability.

KevinH

Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned about instability levels yet. The way the GFS and Euro have that trough, it would be easier for deep Gulf moisture to be funnel further north especially if the system slows down a bit. Besides it's Dixie we're talking about here. Not tornado alley. Dixie doesn't play by the normal lack of instability rules which for some reason is always the biggest thing that gets harped on. I mean I see why and the reason, but there's other things like wind shear that can compensate for the instability.
Exactly.

Dixie does what she wants, when she wants, IF she wants, all while giving us the finger.

DIXIE ALLEY DOES NOT PLAY BY THE “RULES” people lol

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
This event needs a decent chunk of instability though, my go to would be around 800j or so, whenever I see a extreme amount of shear, like this event I think of updrafts getting shredded ; it needs some balance. Usually a 1000j is really good for a winter event. But for sustaining good updrafts with really high shear it needs a decent chunk. But you make a good point of the trough funnelling more instability, it's something to keep a close eye on.

And there is other mechanisms that can aid in them not being shredded, but the instability is my main concern with this event not reaching it's full potential

KevinH

Reaction score
This event needs a decent chunk of instability though, my go to would be around 800j or so, whenever I see a extreme amount of shear, like this event I think of updrafts getting shredded ; it needs some balance. Usually a 1000j is really good for a winter event. But for sustaining good updrafts with really high shear it needs a decent chunk. But you make a good point of the trough funnelling more instability, it's something to keep a close eye on.

And there is other mechanisms that can aid in them not being shredded, but the instability is my main concern with this event not reaching it's full potential
See my previous comment LOL!!!

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

500 to 800 j get her done. the wind fields thus far out are very concerning