Severe Weather 2024

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
You know it's gonna happen. Radar goes offline.
ghostbusters GIF

JPWX

Reaction score
Nothing spells severe weather like a 978mbar low pressure system (00z GFS). The 6z GFS has a 985mbar low pressure system which would also be a severe weather threat, but probably more centered along the Gulf Coast/southern areas of the Deep South.

Attachments

• gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_47.png
    gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_47.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 0
  • gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_50.png
    gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_50.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Nothing spells severe weather like a 978mbar low pressure system (00z GFS). The 6z GFS has a 985mbar low pressure system which would also be a severe weather threat, but probably more centered along the Gulf Coast/southern areas of the Deep South.
Yeah. 0z would be a much larger area outbreak vs 6z more towards the gulf coast … what a system

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Would not be surprised if this ended up becoming the first svr thread of 2024.
I was just noticing this myself. A low pressure system developing that strong and developing that far south is not good news. I know it's out in voodoo land, but it was showing a lot of CAPE for a January system. Was that a quick band of snow forming on the backside of this storm?

JPWX

Reaction score
I was just noticing this myself. A low pressure system developing that strong and developing that far south is not good news. I know it's out in voodoo land, but it was showing a lot of CAPE for a January system. Was that a quick band of snow forming on the backside of this storm?
It was indeed. The 12z GFS wasn't aggressive. Both 00z and 12z Canadian runs have wintry weather issues. 00z Euro had wintry mix while 12z Euro has just rain. Basically it's anyone's guess what we get.

Attachments

• ecmwf-deterministic-alms-instant_ptype-4564000.png
    ecmwf-deterministic-alms-instant_ptype-4564000.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ecmwf-deterministic-alms-instant_ptype-4542400.png
    ecmwf-deterministic-alms-instant_ptype-4542400.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
  • gem-all-alms-instant_ptype-4531600.png
    gem-all-alms-instant_ptype-4531600.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • gem-all-alms-instant_ptype-4553200.png
    gem-all-alms-instant_ptype-4553200.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 0

MichelleH

Reaction score
It was indeed. The 12z GFS wasn't aggressive. Both 00z and 12z Canadian runs have wintry weather issues. 00z Euro had wintry mix while 12z Euro has just rain. Basically it's anyone's guess what we get.

Hopefully, it doesn't pull a November 1989 and we get both.

Clancy

Reaction score
Seems to be pretty consistent in at least showing up for the last several runs. I was kind of expecting this thing to just fade into the void given how far out it is, so if it sticks around I'm sure it's gonna wobble a lot. Would definitely take some flakes over tornadoes.

JPWX

Reaction score
Seems to be pretty consistent in at least showing up for the last several runs. I was kind of expecting this thing to just fade into the void given how far out it is, so if it sticks around I'm sure it's gonna wobble a lot. Would definitely take some flakes over tornadoes.
Wouldn't we all! LOL

Back