• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter 2019-2020 Discussion

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Early next week an arctic blast is coming through. GFS is showing lows next Wed morning (Nov 13) in the upper teens for N AL. With it's cold bias we probably won't see temps that low, but 22°-24° readings are likely. Welcome Ole Man Winter

gangstonc

Reaction score
Early next week an arctic blast is coming through. GFS is showing lows next Wed morning (Nov 13) in the upper teens for N AL. With it's cold bias we probably won't see temps that low, but 22°-24° readings are likely. Welcome Ole Man Winter
View attachment 2133
Ole Man Winter can go off and die somewhere. Bring on the heat!

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Today's run of the GFS shows some possible frozen precip in the Tennessee Valley Monday night into Tues morning

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We’re looking at our first freeze and maybe even the s-word early next week. :(

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh that look like fun. Let's see how this pans out.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
I’ve lived in North Alabama most my life and these backside snow events pan out maybe 5% of the time. Sewanee will usually see some flurries but nothing for Huntsville

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think its going to be an interesting winter. Many believe it will be warmer than normal but not as warm as last. Hopefully we don't torch all winter and we get a shot or two at something wintry.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
I’m always down for at least one good snow. Need the classic low coming up from the gulf to deliver the good snow. Everything else trace - 1/2inch maybe.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As expected there are fluctuations with the snow potential in the later GFS runs. Not looking as great but there also look to be the possibility of more rain/storms later on for the SE.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh84-132.gif

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like we are going to get some snow in NW Arkansas today. Always amazes me how it can be 70 and sunny one day.. and then snow.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS EVENING... * WHAT...A MIX OF SLEET, TRANSITIONING TO MAINLY SNOW ACROSS FAR NORTHWEST ARKANSAS BY LATE AFTERNOON. BEHIND THE SLEET AND SNOW, FREEZING DRIZZLE COULD PERSIST. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS UP TO ONE INCH, ESPECIALLY IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN AREAS OF NORTHWEST ARKANSAS.

Plane on Chicago took a little slide off the runway this morning as well. Welcome to winter. Unofficially.

Last edited:

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
32 degrees heading towards the mid 20's with a small sheet of freezing rain and sleet leaving a thin layer of ice on everything outside. It's November 11 in Austin, TX where we are usually wearing shorts and hawaiin shirts until January.

Very strange, very strange.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like we had a little sleet/snow accumulation here last night. There’s still some left in the shade.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Apparently there’s some snow falling east of here in the Maryland suburbs but nothing much here in DC. Just unpleasantly cold.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 2133
Well.. I was a swing and a miss on this one. Temps in the mid-upper teens this morning in the Tenn Valley.... Brrrr!

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one seeing a HUGE artic system rolling in around December 2 and hanging around all week?

I know the GFS is not considered to be extremely reliable but seven days of freezing weather?

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There was some snow up in Maryland this morning apparently. 40 and rainy down here. Bleh.

Back