• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Winter 2018-2019

Kory

Reaction score
More I take away from the Euro is that it is very active and stormy for most of next week. Another 4-6" rain event...verbatim.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Today's 12z Euro run would be nothing short of record breaking for next weekend. Hopefully it doesn't happen how it portrays it. Snow for north Alabama would be nice, but highs in the single digits next Sunday....not so much. Lows next Sunday night would be below 0 almost everywhere north of I-20. It has Huntsville around -12°F, with isolated pockets as low as -19°F.
Actually life threatening temps if that run verified... unreal...

skelly

Reaction score
Now this is awesome! Seems like old times. Can’t wait for all the imby questions, people getting mad when storms disappear from the models. Hype season baby! Woo hoo.

bwalk

Reaction score
Can someone help me understand the wind associated with this weekend's system? I know it's related to pressure gradients and the Low moving out and the High moving in behind the low, etc.

But what causes some systems to have higher winds associated with them compared to other systems?

Spann's forecast says "before the storms arrive it will be windy due to a pressure gradient wind from the south averaging 15-25 mph with higher gusts.". Then, after the front moves out there will be "strong north winds of 10-20 mph".

So, the low will have very gusty South winds associated with it & the following High will have gusty North winds associated with it.

What causes some systems to have stronger winds & other systems to not be so windy? And, clarification, I am not talking about winds associated within actual thunderstorms.

Always have trouble figuring the 'why' to the pressure gradient issue out.

Thanks in advance.

skelly

Reaction score
There’s the fact that air is sinking in a high pressure system and lifting in a low pressure system. The greater the difference between the two pressures the stronger the movement of air. Then you get into things more complicated like how deep or shallow the pressure system is and the involvement or not of upper level winds and jet streams as I’m sure most everyone on here understands better than me.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So glad tomorrow is a holiday. Wind chills are going to be in the -10F range in the morning.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
what could I have possibly done to deserve this

T6WKKRq.png

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
made something in honor of this coming week that I thought y'all would appreciate (click to embiggen)

minusforty.jpg

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
GgwUnr9.png

...At least it's sunny out! Lowest temps we've had in something like 25 years.

Ouch now that is cold.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Big bust on the snow forecast in Alabama with this clipper system

skelly

Reaction score
And somebody please get on here and explain these frostquakes. Some videos with sound would be nice!

Back