• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter 2018-2019

Kory

Reaction score
GFS and ensembles drop the hammer with the cold. Euro and its ensembles aren't as frigid, but still below average. Looks like the corresponding storm track after is hinging on the track of this weekend's storm (suppressed like the GFS vs cutter like Euro/UKMET).

Cat5

Reaction score
Now trust me I know anything 5 days or more is unlikely and its probably an outlier but is the 18z GFS run for the 24th to 29th not a nightmare scenario for north and central Alabama?

Kory

Reaction score
GFS and ensembles drop the hammer with the cold. Euro and its ensembles aren't as frigid, but still below average. Looks like the corresponding storm track after is hinging on the track of this weekend's storm (suppressed like the GFS vs cutter like Euro/UKMET).
This has changed. Both models, now, drop the hammer on the cold Sunday into early next week. Looks brutally cold.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If this verifies, it possibly will allow Siberian air mass intrusion. The weeklies are showing about the same idea.
This type of cold will be hard on people. Is this 30+ year cold? Time will tell.
1345549799_ScreenShot2019-01-14at8_42_02PM_png_108517c625c06bbcc5b0862bb300a2b5.png

Reaction score
Just saw a snow map out in crazy land dropping a foot of snow from central Texas through North Alabama up the East Coast the weekend of the 26th, 27th. We will see

Twisterdata was first place I thought of that would have such exaggerated amounts so I gave a look and sure enough-exactly as you said :rolleyes:

pJ6E1S5.png

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Twisterdata was first place I thought of that would have such exaggerated amounts so I gave a look and sure enough-exactly as you said :rolleyes:

pJ6E1S5.png
Apparently it’s what the GFS is showing. Classic gulf low with already cold temps in place. It’s 10 days out so who knows and it’s the American model which isn’t being adjusted due to the shutdown. After last year shutting out North Alabama I’ll settle for 3-4 inches. Anything but 38 and raining all day.

pritchlaw

Reaction score
driving from Chattanooga to Sevierville early Sunday morning. Anyone care to guess at whether we'll be OK if we get there before lunch?

Kory

Reaction score
Pay attention to next Wednesday's gulf low situation. Enough cold air on the back side may get pulled in to see a quick changeover to snow as the back edge of the precipitation is pulling out. This DOES NOT look like a big event, but maybe a dusting right now for the northern half of MS and AL.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like we ended up with about another inch last night. Hopefully we miss the snow and mix this weekend and just get some cold rain.

As Calvin put it, “getting an inch of snow is like winning ten cents in the lottery.”

Kory

Reaction score
Looks like we ended up with about another inch last night. Hopefully we miss the snow and mix this weekend and just get some cold rain.

As Calvin put it, “getting an inch of snow is like winning ten cents in the lottery.”
Unless you live in the South. Then it shuts everything down and for some reason these people go crazy over it. I personally hate snow. And cold.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh I would much rather it be 100 degrees.

D.C. can handle a few inches but once you get above about 6” everything tends to shut down (the above-ground Metro lines can’t run, etc.). Getting close to a foot on Sunday ground everything that wasn’t already shut down to a halt.

skelly

Reaction score
A decent wintry weather situation would be awesome next week cause traffic is going to be awesome! (Birmingham area!)

Jacob

Reaction score
Today's 12z Euro run would be nothing short of record breaking for next weekend. Hopefully it doesn't happen how it portrays it. Snow for north Alabama would be nice, but highs in the single digits next Sunday....not so much. Lows next Sunday night would be below 0 almost everywhere north of I-20. It has Huntsville around -12°F, with isolated pockets as low as -19°F.

Kory

Reaction score
Seen this before only for it to back peddle. Case and point this weekend was looking frigid. It has moderated considerably.

Jacob

Reaction score
Seen this before only for it to back peddle. Case and point this weekend was looking frigid. It has moderated considerably.

Yeah I don't expect it'll verify anything close to that, it was just an interesting look. It was a pretty dramatic change just from the previous run. It'd be the perfect storm for extreme cold in the deep south with snow on the ground and an extreme arctic air mass moving in.

Back