• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather stations

crsides

Reaction score
I have a cabin in the mountains of SW Virginia. It is at 4200 ft elevation and the weather can get pretty hairy with high wind and low temps. I bought a acurite weather station to monitor the weather while we are away. I liked the unit but the wind speed was obviously wrong. We were having 30mph winds, I could see the wind gauge flying around and the unit was measuring 7 mph.

What is a good reliable weather station for the someone just looking for the wind and temp readings over a period of a couple weeks. Need to stay in the $100 range if possible.

Charlie

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Welcome to TalkWeather @crsides!
This question comes up from time to time. You can find some information at https://talkweather.com/index.php?threads/new-weather-station-needed.901/. I will say I have had a lot of success with the Ambient WS-0900-IP. I have one in a high wind area and it has matched up with my handheld anemometer with less than 2 mph difference. Also comes with their IP unit that plugs into your router and pushes the information to the net for remote monitoring. Best of all they normally run under $75.

Back