• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather Station Thread

bdluna

Meteorologist
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Fantastic! Have you used any of the lightning detection features?

We are replacing our memorial weather station at Huntsville Botanical Garden with a WeatherFlow device. One of the biggest issues we had there was birds leaving seeds in the rain collection bucket. Hoping to solve that problem.

We will also be announcing another memorial station later this month.

Also Welcome to TalkWeather @bdluna! Thank you for becoming a sustaining member as well.
Love the lightning features. Works SOLID. The Tempest app will send you a push notification when it detects lightning within a set radius of the sensor.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Love the lightning features. Works SOLID. The Tempest app will send you a push notification when it detects lightning within a set radius of the sensor.
Welcome, Ben!

Drew Richards

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hey @Drew Richards - Any updates on your testing with the WeatherFlow stations? Looking to upgrade.
Sorry for the late reply. The WeatherFlow Tempest is the real deal. I’ve deployed Davis stations since 1998, and Davis is great...but you can‘t beat the amount of data you get from Weatherflow, plus live second by second data online built in, plus solar, UV and lightning data for less than $350.

The solid state sensor is wonderful. No rain bucket to get clogged like you mentioned or wind cup bearings to wear out.

No issues thus far from the many Tempest units. We had water get into the first gen Sky units a while back but weatherflow support quickly sent replacements at no charge. Great folks to work with.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have to brag on the WeatherFlow Temptest. I've got one of the new units running at my apartment. I had my doubts about the quality, especially wind. However, the unit has impressed me over and over. I'm looking forward to setting up this unit at a local location and dedicating it as a TalkWeather Memorial Site for one of our member that passed. I know the organization that is going to host it is beyond excited, especially with the lightning detection which will make sense when we announce it.

The Perry Williams memorial station at the Huntsville Botanical Garden is also getting a WeatherFlow update on my next trip back to Alabama.

weir003

Reaction score
Have had the Tempest up in a temporary location for a week or so. Love it so far and had the gold star but I made some adjustments to the location. I think it’s in a better spot maybe I’ll get the star back. I’m in a unique location that’s affected by the river and we get all sorts of unique conditions in this microclimate!

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score

chescowx

Reaction score
East Nantmeal Township, Chester County PA
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hey guys,
First post here. I have 3 Stations (VP2 / Ambient and Weatherflow) in East Nantmeal Township in the burbs of Philly in Chester County PA. I also have another Weatherflow in Sea Isle City, NJ (but this one is currently being replaced with my 4th unit since a December 2021 install)
My Chester County PA website is www.chescowx.com - I have detailed data for my area back to 1888 with a hyper focus on the unique (compared to Philadelphia) climate of Chester County PA.

Thanks for having me!
Paul

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A deer tried to jump the fence where I had my tempest station mounted and ultimately knocked it off the pole and onto the ground. To my surprise, the weather station never missed a minute reporting data and was undamaged by a big doe ramming into it.

Back