• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Weather Banter

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
This isn't the greatest photo, but the light caught the ice really nice here as I was out on a supply run in between ice storms (like most everyone else in Corvallis today while the high dominated).

Very unusual weather for us, west of the Cascades, due to that Arctic air intrusion last week and a lingering cold pool. We'll be back to the usual rain in a few days. It was nice to see the sun.

img_20240115_153033.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My husband’s family lives in Highland and Redlands and felt it!
The epicenter was in San Bernardino very close to my workplace. Foreshock to a larger event? Highly doubt it, but you never know I suppose... although, my house actually sits much closer to the S.A.F. than the epicenter of this recent quake.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have been watching various meteorologists here in Northwest Arkansas. While it is not as big of a market as North Alabama or Birmingham, there are still some great weather teams here. Recently, I came across a meteorologist with a unique name, "Majestic Storm," while watching ABC 40/29 in Fayetteville. I have heard of TV meteorologists having weather-inspired names (real or stage names) before, but this was the first time I had seen one on TV!

Majestic does a great job as well as the rest of the weather team. Anyone else have any names?

1706291370406.png

Last edited:

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have been watching various meteorologists here in Northwest Arkansas. While it is not as big of a market as North Alabama or Birmingham, there are still some great weather teams here. Recently, I came across a meteorologist with a unique name, "Majestic Storm," while watching ABC 40/29 in Fayetteville. I have heard of TV meteorologists having weather-inspired names (real or stage names) before, but this was the first time I had seen one on TV!

Majestic does a great job as well as the rest of the weather team. Anyone else have any names?

View attachment 23654

WAAY in Huntsville had a young woman named Stormy. I don't remember her last name.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
WAAY in Huntsville had a young woman named Stormy. I don't remember her last name.
Fun fact: I have a sister named Stormey; sadly, the last name isn't weather or action-related. lol

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Wow. :( For some reason this popped up on a volcano Google search -- it's so bad, ReliefWeb is on it, too:

Winter dzud kills two million animals in Mongolia​

4 March 2024
2 minutes

mongolian-horseman-in-a-snow-storm-in-northern-Mongolia.jpg
Mongolian horseman in a snowstorm in northern Mongolia. Image: Katiekk/Shutterstock

An extreme winter weather event has killed at least two million head of livestock in Mongolia​

By Stuart Butler
For some parts of the northern hemisphere, winter 2023-24 has been unusually mild. But that’s not the case in Mongolia. This landlocked, central Asian country is used to bitter winters with temperatures sometimes dipping to a bone-chilling minus 50 degrees Celsius, but this year has been hard even by Mongolian standards...

Back