• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

WAFF (Huntsville, AL) staff changes

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like Gray's takeover of WAFF in Huntsville is getting messy. They let the news director go a few weeks ago, Kimberly Essex who had been there for like 20+ years was let go last week and now they have let sports anchor Paloma Villicana go. Brad Travis is on vacay and comes back today....
hopefully.

Any other former Raycom stations seeing layoffs?

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like Gray's takeover of WAFF in Huntsville is getting messy. They let the news director go a few weeks ago, Kimberly Essex who had been there for like 20+ years was let go last week and now they have let sports anchor Paloma Villicana go. Brad Travis is on vacay and comes back today....
hopefully.

Haven't seen Trent Butler in a couple of weeks either.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
WAFF is our go to station for local news primarily because of their anchors like Kimberly and Trent. Sheila O'Connor left last week too. If they let Margo and Brad go... we're done with them.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
hopefully.

This is turning into a bad look for them. At this point it's just Travis keeping the station afloat and once he gets shown the door (And after the Alan Seals debacle down in Mobile I'm worried it's a when-not-if thing now), WHNT will become the only relevant station in the Huntsville market.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I always watch WHNT because I prefer their anchors, and more importantly, I prefer their format. I will occasionally toggle between WHNT and WAFF during severe weather to get the opinions of both Jason and Brad, but for nightly news (and morning news), I'm 100% on the WHNT bandwagon. I will say that I always thought Kimberly did a good job "back in the day", so getting rid of her is a bad idea.

Do you think they'd have the guts to get rid of Liz?

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
I always watch WHNT because I prefer their anchors, and more importantly, I prefer their format. I will occasionally toggle between WHNT and WAFF during severe weather to get the opinions of both Jason and Brad, but for nightly news (and morning news), I'm 100% on the WHNT bandwagon. I will say that I always thought Kimberly did a good job "back in the day", so getting rid of her is a bad idea.

Do you think they'd have the guts to get rid of Liz?

They dump anchors purely for money reasons and nothing else. If they have a cheap, young anchor lined up and they don't have to pay Liz anymore they'll remove her and not lose a minute of sleep. The culture under these companies like Gray is extremely toxic and purely money driven with no other real considerations given according to several people I know who work in broadcast.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Logo 468x120
Back