• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

United States launches missiles at Syrian base

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...l-weapons-attack-n743636?cid=eml_nbn_20170406

The United States launched dozens of cruise missiles Thursday night at a Syrian airfield in response to what it believes was the Syrian government's use of banned chemical weapons blamed for having killed at least 100 people on Tuesday, U.S. military officials told NBC News.

The U.S. military fired at least 50 Tomahawk missiles intended for a single target — Ash Sha'irat in Homs province in western Syria, the officials said.

That's the airfierld from which the United States believes the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad fired the banned weapons.

Evan

Reaction score
Long overdue. We should have droned Assad years ago.

For once, I agree with Trump's actions. However, if he wants to use force beyond this level he should consult Congress. I believe this was an instance in which immediate action was needed to prevent further harm to innocent life. But, any major escalation of force (unless Assad does something stupid like retaliate with chemical weapons on innocent civilians or our allies) beyond what is necessary to send a message needs to go before Congress. Hopefully Congress will authorize the removal of Assad as they she have done years ago. Lots of innocent people died because they refused to act previously.

• Admin

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Long overdue. We should have droned Assad years ago.

For once, I agree with Trump's actions. However, if he wants to use force beyond this level he should consult Congress. I believe this was an instance in which immediate action was needed to prevent further harm to innocent life. But, any major escalation of force (unless Assad does something stupid like retaliate with chemical weapons on innocent civilians or our allies) beyond what is necessary to send a message needs to go before Congress. Hopefully Congress will authorize the removal of Assad as they she have done years ago. Lots of innocent people died because they refused to act previously.

Should this not be a U.N. led action though? Isn't this the kind of stuff the U.N. should be doing?

I'm not disagreeing with Trump's decision but I would like to know where the U.N. is on this.

Evan

Reaction score
Should this not be a U.N. led action though? Isn't this the kind of stuff the U.N. should be doing?

I'm not disagreeing with Trump's decision but I would like to know where the U.N. is on this.

Russia has veto power on the Security Council. It is why the UN has done nothing about Syria or Ukraine. So, no, it shouldn't be a UN led action because they will never ever get past the Russian veto. It *IS* the kind of stuff the UN was setup to prevent, but with the Security Council subject to a veto by any member there is nothing that can be done that violates the interest of any of the 5 members.

That Trump acted is just a part of the significance of this event. WHY he acted will be just as important. Was this a unilateral decision (doubtful)? Who influenced him? Ivanka and Kushner or Mattis? Or even Tillerson? Or did he even listen to someone like Rubio?

I support Trump's action, but that doesn't mean he did it for the right reason. Could it have been out of ego and a desire to show he isn't going to be punked by Syria? A desire to show he would keep his word? He said he would be unpredictable, listen to the Generals, and act quickly.

I'd like to think this is Trump turning over a new leaf, but we don't know his motivation just yet. Various angles are being pushed, but the true story will take some time to come out.

I am glad that this was done, and I thank Trump for reacting appropriately so far.

Finally, has anyone considered that Trump potentially acted to avoid Israel acting? Stories have been flying around since yesterday that Israel was considering humanitarian intervention. Which would have almost assuredly been a strike on chemical weapon locations. Israel has better Intel than us in Syria. They were probably highly involved in Intel sharing or even planning. Trump has enough decent NATSEC people and Generals around that if Israel was about to start something major they'd urge Trump to do it first. Has happened many times before in US policy and military action -- specifically involving Israel. Israel has bombed Syria a few times in retaliation for Hezbollah stuff, etc, but if Israel used truly significant force you'd have a powderkeg of a situation.

Trump didn't have a lot of options because Obama's Syria policy was a disaster. Being portrayed as under the thumb of Russia also was a potential factor. What better way to try to distance yourself and bury the Russia story than to take military action against a murderous thug?

Finally, it is amazing to watch significant Trump supporters and right wing fake news sites like Infowars, Cernovich, PrisonPlanet, etc turn on Trump. Russia is furious. Already pushing fake news that Russia shot down almost all of the Cruise missiles (they may have gotten some depending upon what air defense systems they have in Syria as Trump warned Russia before the strike). It shows you who actually supports Trump and who is beholden to Putin and the Assadist propaganda factory.

I say all this to say that I'm not ready to leap into believing Trump all of a sudden turned over a new leaf. I will support his action while maintaining a healthy level of suspicion because he has certainly not earned my trust and won't get it just because of one single action no matter how much I agree with it.

If it were up to me we'd have given Putin an ultimatum at the same time and been ready to swiftly ratchet up sanctions and PNG every diplomat they have unless he agreed to turn over Assad or allow us to drone him.

While we are at it we should accidentally drone Assange. Putin will only keep that sicko rapist around as long as he has useful value. Right now he is parroting the Russian/Assadist fake news angle which should be of no surprise to anyone.

Reaction score
Trump was on Assads and Russias side trying to fight of ISIS. ISIS has used chemical weapons in the past in Syria. Could ISIS have actually been behind the attack to divert Trump from teaming with Russia/Assad?

https://www.infowars.com/ron-paul-chemical-weapons-attack-in-syria-likely-a-false-flag/

Trump may have sent a good sign to the Chinese president who he is currently meeting with that the US isn't going to take their crap and the Psy guy in N Korea may ease off his pyromaniac infused temper tantrums for a bit so maybe it will help in other ways too.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I may not side with Trump on a lot of things but I think this was a good call on several levels. Chemical weapons is a step too far and Syria has been getting away with it for a long time. Will be interesting to see how the Russians respond.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Someone help me with this because I don't know... Can Trump order an act of war on another country without going through Congress first?

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Seen on Twitter tonight... "@realDonaldTrump A military strike to protest violence against children you won't openly welcome in our country"

Jacob

Reaction score
Somebody fill me in, what do we (or the world) gain by trying to remove Assad?

Reaction score
This does nothing in Syria, except make us feel better about our morality. I agree with everyone...what Assad, or some element within the regime did was abhorrent and under international law, a war crime... but this does nothing in the grand scheme. The war will go on. The Rebels (most groups, with the exception of some on the Southern Front) have been absorbed into the radical HTS and AAS, and are not a better option. The somewhat moderate Free Syrian Army is no more. All sides kill and butcher civilians who don't align with them on a daily basis. We need a plan to help end the war. Not tit for tat weapon exchanges.

Assad is an egotistical and morally corrupt moron. What dictator isn't though! The Regime is WINNING the war. ISIS is in a strategic retreat, while fighting ferocious rear guard actions. The Rebels are fighting amongst themselves and killing each other. The Regime has the manpower edge, and is slowly closing pockets. Why do this? However, he knows Russia will re supply his Air Force. Russia may even up their manpower in the region. Unless we unilaterally take him out, he's not going anywhere. It's a damn mess.

Last edited:

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
This does nothing in Syria, except make us feel better about our morality. I agree with everyone...what Assad, or some element within the regime did was abhorrent and under international law, a war crime... but this does nothing in the grand scheme. The war will go on. The Rebels (most groups, with the exception of some on the Southern Front) have been absorbed into the radical HTS and AAS, and are not a better option. The somewhat moderate Free Syrian Army is no more. All sides kill and butcher civilians who don't align with them on a daily basis. We need a plan to help end the war. Not tit for tat weapon exchanges.

Assad is an egotistical and morally corrupt moron. What dictator isn't though! The Regime is WINNING the war. ISIS is in a strategic retreat, while fighting ferocious rear guard actions. The Rebels are fighting amongst themselves and killing each other. The Regime has the manpower edge, and is slowly closing pockets. Why do this? However, he knows Russia will re supply his Air Force. Russia may even up their manpower in the region. Unless we unilaterally take him out, he's not going anywhere. It's a damn mess.
I agree... Syria is a convoluted mess
syriacontrolmap.jpg

Reaction score
Looking at that map... as if we didn't already know, Its really not our place to care what happens clear around the world. If Assad wiped away everybody in HIS country it would be his business and would have zero affect on us. If our govt did that to us would there be someone to come in rescue us? What happened to Trumps original idea of not being like Hillary and not being in everybody elses business?

‘Another Neo-Con puppet’: Trump’s former backers jump ship after Syria airstrike

Nov 2016...He said this

Trump warns that by attacking Assad, US will ‘end up fighting Russia’

Kory

Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about a full scale military intervention in Syria. The atrocities are hard to look at. I don't know how the United States, a bastion of freedom and humanitarianism, can just turn a blind eye. But, there are conflicting reports. Assad and his regime are winning the civil war. What motive would he have to do this? Could this be done by a rebel group as a last minute, straw grab? I'm not sure we have all the intel...

But, take a look at this photo and then ask yourself again...should the United States not TRY to resolve the issue (and I'm not saying I have the answer, because I don't).

http://i.imgur.com/6gAolez.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
The only thing is, the answer has to be more than a missile strike. I don't know how you solve this either. Aside from the Kurds, no group is fit to lead. We're also actively bombing the group (HTS) that controls the town that was attacked. It's messed up.

Don't get me wrong, chemical warfare is a major step. However, there are photos every week of kids dead in the streets of Syria due to RuAF/SyAF bombings, and rebel artillery barrages/VBIEDs. No one in power cares about them then. Maybe if they did, the peace process would be underway.

Cat5

Reaction score
I mean who knows if Trump even initiated this whole attack. I see things such as this like an SNL skit. Such as Maddog Mattis, McMaster and Bannon rushing in to the Oval office with a laptop.

"Sir we are going to do something really GREAT! JUST press this Button"

In all seriousness I see this more of a message(a $94 million dollar message) than anything else. It's Trumps chance to show countries like, North Korea, Russia, Iran, and Syria especially that any direct action toward us will meet with swift retaliation. Lots of saber rattling going on by people like fatboy in NK. I know that is a main topic of discussion with the Chinesse.

We know the Russian's were involved and at the airbase when the chemical attack happened and Russia had a drone flying over the site. We have radar showing the planes leaving the base so we know it originated from there whether it be Assad or Syrian Rebels. Syrian planes flew out of the base today even with reports of "mostly destroyed" coming out after the bombing Thursday night.

I think we have enough proof that removing tyrants isn't always the best action. Keeping them in line to some degree so they can still handle their own savages may be the better option.

Reaction score
Yes hopefully we've learned that US Intelligence isn't always that intelligent so we are smart enough not to repeat the whole Iraq war over some chem weapons. Russia should have made sure the WMD was gone so have no room to gripe if true. The establishment could have fabricated the evidence so Trump would believe Asaad done it-Hillary was really glad as many Dems were. It doesn't make sense why a leader would do something like that when he had Russia and US President basically on his side. I would guess media can leave Trump alone about being too friendly with Moscow and Kim Jong will shut up for a while.

Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
As much as I would like to see Assad taken out and Syria stabilized, it will take a ground invasion and occupation to make it happen. It's good to see at least some punishment for Assad's evil beavior. However, my cynical side can almost believe this whole thing was a stunt so Trump and Putin can say, "See, we don't really like each other after all! Nothing to see here with all this Russiagate fake news. Move along...".

Thanks, Trump, for finally making me a tin foil hat so I can be a member of the conspiracy theory club!

Matt

Reaction score
Yes hopefully we've learned that US Intelligence isn't always that intelligent so we are smart enough not to repeat the whole Iraq war over some chem weapons. Russia should have made sure the WMD was gone so have no room to gripe if true. The establishment could have fabricated the evidence so Trump would believe Asaad done it-Hillary was really glad as many Dems were. It doesn't make sense why a leader would do something like that when he had Russia and US President basically on his side. I would guess media can leave Trump alone about being too friendly with Moscow and Kim Jong will shut up for a while.

Obama, Hillary, Kerry and Rice should have made sure the WMD were gone.

Last edited:

Matt

Reaction score
As much as I would like to see Assad taken out and Syria stabilized, it will take a ground invasion and occupation to make it happen. It's good to see at least some punishment for Assad's evil beavior. However, my cynical side can almost believe this whole thing was a stunt so Trump and Putin can say, "See, we don't really like each other after all! Nothing to see here with all this Russiagate fake news. Move along...".

Thanks, Trump, for finally making me a tin foil hat so I can be a member of the conspiracy theory club!

That is cynical.

Back