• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    Right now we are in LIVE MODE for a severe weather event.
    Take a moment and join us for free and get access to member only features like LIVE MODE.
    CLICK HERE TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • Current Severe Weather Threads
    Multiday Severe Weather Thread (May 17-23, 2019) CLICK HERE

Tropical Storm Tropical Storm Florence (1 Viewer)

KoD

Staff member
TW Supporter
PerryW Project Supporter
It's incredible how the same counties in NC have been hit continuously by the highest precipitation rainband for the past day.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
First bit of rain starting up here. Breezy at times still a few hundred miles from the center. Expecting part of the escarpment to maybe see a foot or more of rain and gusts in the 40s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WesL

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Special Affiliations
SKYWARN® Volunteer,
First bit of rain starting up here. Breezy at times still a few hundred miles from the center. Expecting part of the escarpment to maybe see a foot or more of rain and gusts in the 40s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Stay safe!!

MattW

Special Affiliations
SKYWARN® Volunteer
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
The GFS hasn't performed all that bad with Florence, but I'm not sure I buy what's on the 6z GFS. It wants to take the remnants out to sea, pinch them off of a larger system headed to the UK, then bring them south into the middle of the Atlantic then into the Bahamas and Cuba. Peak intensity doesn't seem to be more than barely a tropical storm, but we're 4 days out from that. I know Ivan did something like this back in 2004, but it stayed closer to the coast.

warneagle

Special Affiliations
SKYWARN® Volunteer
There were about 5 separate circulations in the Richmond area around that time. Wouldn't be surprised if there were other touchdowns too.

It's pouring here. Wouldn't be surprised if we got >3" out of this. Probably not disastrous but still 3" more than we need.

warneagle

Special Affiliations
SKYWARN® Volunteer
EF-2 tornado confirmed in the Richmond area yesterday. Presumably the one that was photographed/videotaped.

Had some street flooding near my apartment today, which made commuting lots of fun this morning /s.

Edit: NWS also confirmed a second EF-1 near Richmond.

Last edited:

rolltide_130

Special Affiliations
Florence has been officially declared dissipated by NHC/WPC. The lifespan of the storm ran from August 31st to September 18th, an impressive length of time right there.

I fully expect the name Florence to be retired after the season. She's currently sitting at between $17 and $21 billion in damage with 21 fatalities and that number will likely climb as flooded areas become reachable again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)