• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Svr Wx Threat Sun 2/26/2023 (KS, OK, TX, MO) & Mon 2/27/2023 (IL/IN/OH)

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I thought I saw a funnel like that (and so did the on-air meteorologist) in the live chaser video on KWTV as the Norman tornado had just cycled (apparently) and produced a new one around the time it crossed I-40 over northwest Shawnee. It was so quick, though in the lightning flashes and through the rain-spattered windshield it was hard to tell. Sure wasn't expecting highly visible condensation funnels yesterday, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the low-level inversion and relatively high LCLs. My mindset was that this was more like a Dixie setup due to nontraditional timing for the southern Plains (according to both the calendar and the diurnal cycle), but it really wasn't.
One of KOCO's spotters reported seeing a tornado down right around the same time so I think you're right about the timing on that.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I hope that goes up. That did not cause just EF2 damage - that's easy EF3 at minimum.
Yeah I've seen less impressive mobile home damage rated EF3, in fact, I'd say the Cheyenne mobile home damage is more intense looking than what I've seen from Old Kingston, AL from last month. With that said, I wouldn't say "minimum" of EF3 given the limitations of the mobile home DI (150 MPH). But any way you slice it, that contextual damage is NOT consistent with EF2 winds though.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also, nothing in my area from yesterday's event was given a rating above EF1. I really thought we'd see at least low-end EF2 from the Middletown tornado given the roof and exterior wall loss at that one home. NWS Wilmington is weird. Sometimes they play it conservative like today, yet other times they seem to have a more liberal interpretation of the scale (Memorial Day 2019). What's odd is that today's surveys and the Memorial Day surveys were conducted by the same met; Andy Hatzos.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Contextual evidence alone from Cheyenne makes it clear the intensity is consistent with EF3s, with tree damage alone that I feel BMX at least would rate mid to high end EF3, but I've stopped expecting offices to be consistent or take context into effect and am not surprised

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Contextual evidence alone from Cheyenne makes it clear the intensity is consistent with EF3s, with tree damage alone that I feel BMX at least would rate mid to high end EF3, but I've stopped expecting offices to be consistent or take context into effect and am not surprised
NWS Norman has been extremely inconsistent with their surveys. Sometimes they're rather lenient (Moore 2010), sometimes they're pretty balanced, like with Moore 2013 (although it would probably get an EF4 rating these days) and other times they're absurdly conservative - like with Cheyenne and Moore 2015.

And of course, everyone here already knows the level of consistency that can be expected when comparing different WFO's...

buckeye05

Reaction score
NWS Norman has been extremely inconsistent with their surveys. Sometimes they're rather lenient (Moore 2010), sometimes they're pretty balanced, like with Moore 2013 (although it would probably get an EF4 rating these days) and other times they're absurdly conservative - like with Cheyenne and Moore 2015.

And of course, everyone here already knows the level of consistency that can be expected when comparing different WFO's...
With Moore 2015, it was painfully obvious how hesitant they were to admit that they failed to warn for a strong tornado in a populated area. They sheepishly changed the narrative from:

-Straight line winds with some gustnado activity

to

-Straight line winds with couple of areas of weak tornado damage

to

-Low end EF2 that tracked through the south side of the metro area

That’s better than the initial assessment, but it was clearly stronger than low-end EF2.

Back