• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

SpaceX Crew Dragon to Land on Sunday in Gulf of Mexico (02AUG20)

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Heads up @Jack Watkins - looks like Tropical Storm Isaias is going to push NASA/SpaceX to one of the Gulf Coast landing areas this weekend to bring Crew Dragon home with Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken.

Keeping tabs on a tropical storm, NASA is pressing ahead with plans to bring two astronauts and their SpaceX ferry ship back to Earth Sunday with a splashdown in the Gulf of Mexico. It will be the first piloted re-entry of a Crew Dragon spacecraft and NASA's first ocean landing in 45 years.
"The return flight readiness review is complete and the NASA team and the SpaceX team, everybody remains 'go' for return," NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine told reporters Wednesday. "We cannot wait to get Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley back to Earth.
"But of course, we have some weather pending. Just like when we launched, we had some challenges with weather, we may have that again. But the first opportunity remains August 2, and we look forward to seeing if that's going to be within the realm of what is possible."

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Still a go at this point

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Afraid not. They are going to be coming from over the southeastern gulf to minimize the exposure to land.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bob and Dog are suited up, Go Navigator is on station of the coast of Pensacola. Looking forward to watching splashdown.

Last edited:
  • Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Beautiful landing!! Now let's talk about all those extra boats in the recovery zone. Really? Betting that next time they land they involve the Coast Guard to secure the area. Really sad people can't keep the proper distance and let these crews do their job. To be specific, the boats are in the area of the parachute recovery, capsule recovery and in the path between the go-fast boats and the Go Navigator that is the primary recovery ship.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I can’t imagine the motion sickness those astronauts had to have after adjusting to gravity and being in a confined space bobbing up and down in the water for an hour. Brutal.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I can’t imagine the motion sickness those astronauts had to have after adjusting to gravity and being in a confined space bobbing up and down in the water for an hour. Brutal.
For real... they had them on the ship within 25 minutes but just sitting on the ship waiting to be let out would be almost as bad.

By the way here is a pic from the armada of people that met them...

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
LOL so what do you do when you hanging out waiting for the crew hatch to be opened. The story attached isn't exactly correct, they continued to make calls via the sat phone even after they had been plucked from the Gulf of Mexico and were waiting for an issue with hazardous fumes to be taken care of. Of the calls made this might have been my favorite one...

The satellite phone was provided as a backup communication method in the event that there was an off-course landing. They had been given a checklist of calls to make. They added a few just to make sure the system really worked.

Reactions: KoD
Logo 468x120
Back