• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter WX Southern US Winter Storm (Feb 9 - 17)

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Absolutely torrential rain here and thunder with temps falling, had some gusty wind earlier. Nasty day all around.

Radar estimated storm total of almost an inch of rain, and temp is 34°; very close to a disaster here

Last edited:

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
The freeze line moved east very quickly. It is all the way past Scottsboro down to Gadsden.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Starting rolling blackouts in NW Arkansas. Done with winter now.

Kim30

Reaction score
30 degrees here in SW Limestone Co. and the power is flickering occasionally. I thought I saw a flash of lightening and heard a roll of thunder a little bit ago.

bwalk

Reaction score
Radar is showing the Tuscaloosa area has dodged a bullet w/ above-freezing temps holding. Looks like the Southernly flow of the system pushed up just enough warm air from the South to avert any problems.

Can anyone in the area verify this? (Jetstream, etc)

(2 pm cst radar)

1613419782396.png

Jetstream

Reaction score
Radar is showing the Tuscaloosa area has dodged a bullet w/ above-freezing temps holding. Looks like the Southernly flow of the system pushed up just enough warm air from the South to avert any problems.

Can anyone in the area verify this? (Jetstream, etc)

(2 pm cst radar)

View attachment 5987
So far, there have been reports all around us but none here in the city as of now. My temp at the house dropped to 32 in the heavy precip, but had rebounded to 34 now.

John Jaye

Reaction score
Absolutely torrential rain here and thunder with temps falling, had some gusty wind earlier. Nasty day all around.

Radar estimated storm total of almost an inch of rain, and temp is 34°; very close to a disaster here
1.33 inches on my station just east of downtown Jasper. Temp is 34.0 Got as low as 33.0 but has come up some with the heavier rain.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Up just a bit to 36°; I did not expect this much rain today as the yard is flooded. Birds are descending en masse to the feeders in the yard probably escaping the ice just a few miles away. Fluctuating between 34 and 36, looks like most of the heaviest precip may be past before it drops below freezing here which would be great.

Gonna have some awful road conditions with all this rain accumulation freezing tonight though.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
This is absolutely insane. The entire state of Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas are under a Winter Storm Warning. And almost all of Mississippi.

View attachment 5955

I know that I am a guy but I think we had more than 3-5 inches here in Leander.
IMG_1638.jpeg IMG_1634.jpeg

Austin is in full emergency mode and that isn't a joke. Rolling blackouts with temps tonight around zero spells even more trouble. Not to mention another freezing rain event on Tuesday evening.

Back