• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter WX Southern US Winter Storm (Feb 9 - 17)

Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
The closest weather station to me (and similar elevation) here in SW Blount County is reading 31°, but I don't see any icing. Must be right on the line. Looks like that will continue to be the case, although with the extra elevation where I am, I anticipate a good chance of ice accumulation on Monday night at least.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy to say the least! Snow in Houston... 1-3", maybe up to 6" in Austin...

My parents have a couple large tree branches down after the icing in Round Rock, TX. I'm hoping it won't get too bad as they live around a lot of medium sized live oaks and already have some shingle damage.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem I see here is no one here has big winter coats and there are a lot of areas without gas heat. I'm really worried about the homeless here with temps forecasted in the single digits two nights in a row with another system rolling in Tues night and Wed with temps below freezing until Friday.

2-13 forecasr.jpg

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yep there's the watch... looking like the real deal here for the first time in a while regarding ice. Be nice if it was snow but nah, ice storm time I guess.

Reactions: KoD

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We have an ice storm warning here. There's a good glaze on everything but no dramatic icicles to take pictures of. Couldn't pay me to go outside right now.

I think it's even worse further south. I saw that the Amtrak tracks are blocked by fallen trees south of Alexandria.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
This is setting up to be a major winter event in the western sections of the Tennessee Valley

akt1985

Reaction score
The entire state of Oklahoma and Arkansas is under a winter storm warning. Even almost all of Texas, a state so big, is under a winter storm warning.

• Wow

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
This is setting up to be a major winter event in the western sections of the Tennessee Valley
No doubt, I think some municipalities are going to be hit pretty hard from this. A large area with the potential for subfreezing ground temperatures underneath a decent warm nose, somebody is going to get one heck of an ice storm. That's not to mention all the regions that are going to get snow that haven't seen it in years to decades. Quite a remarkable setup.
I hate that we lost abunch of our winter weather people from the forum shutdown years ago, this would be a 15 page thread if they were still here, cliff jumping and accumulated snowfall maps galore.

F

Former Member

Laughing at the last part of the post. Not the seriousness of the ice storm.
It used to be nuts when winter weather was a possibility.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Why is this thread called Ice Storm? There is going to be plenty snow and sleet in many locations as well

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
For our viewing area here in northwest AL, southern middle TN, and northeast MS, I'm getting increasingly concerned that instead of a "clean" ice storm... a large part of our area may see a situation where we lay down widespread upper-end advisory to low-end warning criteria ice Sunday evening into predawn Monday... and then a large part of the Monday "main" event ends up as a little more freezing rain, a bit of sleet, and then several inches of snow. Temperatures will likely never get out of the 20s for the heart of my viewing area (Shoals metro up to Lawrenceburg), and with an average 0.75-0.9"+ QPF forecasted... with every single bit of that being some form of wintry weather. Temperatures will support snow ratios of 12:1 to 16:1 or even higher once it switches to snow, even as far southeast as the Shoals and southern middle Tennessee. If this doesn't stay a "clean" ice storm, I think many people may be surprised by the snow amounts they may see sitting on top of the ice. If it stays a "clean" ice storm, I wouldn't be shocked at some 1" ice accretions near the U.S. 43 corridor of northwest AL and southern middle TN.

For this portion of the Tennessee Valley, this will be the most impactful winter storm since at least January 2011, if not way before. This makes me think of the big winter storms of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
06z HRRR came in heavily supporting that idea. It never gets northwest AL or southern TN out of the mid 20s all day Sunday... lays down lower-end warning criteria ice Sunday night. Then, while in the mid 20s, dropping to the lower 20s, it lays down 0.5-1.0" or so of sleet, and then a widespread 5-6"+ snow across all of northwest AL and southern middle TN, on top of the accumulated ice. Interesting to note, the HRRR is capturing these current temperatures across the area right now absolutely perfectly.

Mr. Clark

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Being an amateur and newbie at reading the models, am I wrong that the HRRR 12z run shifted the precipitation to the West?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Greetings from NW Arkansas! Well the snow started around 7am this morning and is pretty steady now. I would say about 0.25" so far. We are expecting 3" to 5" today into tomorrow.

WhirlingWx

Reaction score
Greetings from NW Arkansas! Well the snow started around 7am this morning and is pretty steady now. I would say about 0.25" so far. We are expecting 3" to 5" today into tomorrow.
Greetings all! (first post, yay!) Pretty similar story here in the DFW area, actually. Been some on and off snow for the past several hours, with around 0.25" measured at my house. Expecting a few more inches by this time tomorrow. Already the most snow that I've seen in 4 years.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Greetings all! (first post, yay!) Pretty similar story here in the DFW area, actually. Been some on and off snow for the past several hours, with around 0.25" measured at my house. Expecting a few more inches by this time tomorrow. Already the most snow that I've seen in 4 years.
@WhirlingWx welcome to TalkWeather!! Glad to see your first post! Hope you guys are staying warm!

akt1985

Reaction score
Separate from the Winter Storm Watch, a Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for north Alabama this afternoon for freezing drizzle. I noticed it was misting and 31 degrees after church today in Huntsville. No travel problems yet but be careful preparing this afternoon for the system later tonight.

Back