• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Southeast Svr Wx threat April 8-11, 2024

KevinH

Reaction score
Honestly, in this day of social media, hyperbole, and viral clickbait, I don't even think the NWS New Orleans 2005 Katrina verbiage would have much of an effect anymore. Beyond extreme and irresponsible language being used, most people nowadays will just shrug. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think the public is desensitized largely.
Yep. I would not disagree.

Being desensitized is really dangerous. I think a lot of people are going to have to “mess around and find out”… which the SPC/NWS try their best to mitigate lol

The SPC/NWS can only do so much. What actions people take when a warning is issued for their area is up to them.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
"THIS IS CRAZY (NOT CLICKBAIT, WEDGES)"
-Average YouTube video title, accompanied by a neon-colored thumbnail with zero context.
"This tornado warning is an extinction-level event. If you are higher than 30 feet below ground, you will unalive yourself. Concrete steel-reinforced structures will be reduced to atoms."

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
I've been really fascinated by the structure on the mesos on this MCS. Large, sweeping vortexes visible on velocity with tiny couplets located within them. Like vortex-ception.
View attachment 25299
I'm super curious how this will evolve moving eastward. The models are less useful now. It's really a wait-and-see thing.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Honestly, a 10% or 15% isn't mathematically that much different in most circumstances. 7 tornadoes versus 10 or 11, for instance. It's more of a messaging device than anything.

buckeye05

Reaction score
A #-10% would probably suffice, though that 45% wind is more than justified.
Yeah I think it’s clear the main story from this system will be flooding and straight line winds. Things are looking really messy in terms of storm mode though, so I’d say the tornado threat is a different story at this point. Still, there’ll be at least a few more spinups.

treypops

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
"This tornado warning is an extinction-level event. If you are higher than 30 feet below ground, you will unalive yourself. Concrete steel-reinforced structures will be reduced to atoms."
I joke with my son all the time who's a meteorology major - whenever we're under the gun for severe weather: "There's a hundred and twenty percent chance of violent, EF-50 Tornados with embedded running chainsaws within a 50 foot radius of any location in our hatched area."

Reaction score
Honestly, a 10% or 15% isn't mathematically that much different in most circumstances. 7 tornadoes versus 10 or 11, for instance. It's more of a messaging device than anything.
well the 10 percent is 10-14 while the 15 is 15-29, it can be a significant difference. I would like to see SPC get more dialed in when it comes to a mdt risk of tornadoes. This was Def a mdt risk for winds!

Logo 468x120
Back