• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

buckeye05

Reaction score
Video of some poor pedestrian getting body slammed by an EF0 spinup in Cartaya, Spain on March 20th. Doubt this person ever found their umbrella lol.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

From the thread I posted above. This has be some of the most violent damage I’ve ever seen from a historical European tornado. The severe debarking of trees and the multi-story (masonry?) building being partially leveled is very impressive.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m a bit overwhelmed with College, so I’m having little time to check out this forum. But this week since we are having the “fall break”, I’ll have more time. So I will be elaborating on this: one of the most outspread tornado outbreaks in recent memory in Brazil.

I will be posting a rundown of the event until Wednesday.

Also, the storm chasing group “De Olho no Céu”, managed to capture a QLCS tornado near Maringá at the end of March. Unfortunately the concept of this type of event is not very known here, so a lot of these events get misreported as microburst events.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
The July 2017 tornado was likely an intense one as it produced crop scouring in fields and widespread blowdown of forests. In some areas, it looks as if >90% of trees were blown down.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

buckeye05

Reaction score
Curious to see how China's tornado season plays out this year. Seems like last year was unusually active, but I also believe documentation of tornadoes in China has increased as well. I'd say its a bit of both. I also hope they back off the overly-conservative rating approach they seem to have adopted last year. I think they had enough evidence for EF4 in Baochang/Jianguo but didn't rate it as such for some reason.

Last edited:

zvl5316

Reaction score
Curious to see how China's tornado season plays out this year. Seems like last year was unusually active, but I also believe documentation of tornadoes in China has increased as well. I'd say its a bit of both. I also hope they back off the overly-conservative rating approach they seem to have adopted last year. I think they had enough evidence for EF4 in Baochang/Jianguo but didn't rate it as such for some reason.
The activity of spring tornadoes in China has significantly decreased over these decades. How the main 'tornado season' in China is generally summer from May to September.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Some incredible footage of the 2015 Dubbo, Australia tornado

Damage
9deb06007350a59f8648475a0530c45086eb51cc

r3_0_991_558_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

6722192-3x2-940x627.jpg

r0_157_2944_1812_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_2944_1969_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

On another note, why does the Australian media always call them "mini tornadoes"?

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Some incredible footage of the 2015 Dubbo, Australia tornado

Damage
9deb06007350a59f8648475a0530c45086eb51cc

r3_0_991_558_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

6722192-3x2-940x627.jpg

r0_157_2944_1812_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_2944_1969_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

On another note, why does the Australian media always call them "mini tornadoes"?

Regarding the last point: Not too sure. We have the same problem here in the UK, almost all media outlets call tornadoes "mini tornadoes". The majority of our tornadoes are weak spin-ups, so while definitely not monster wedge violent tornadoes, they are still tornadoes and not some a different smaller variety of them or something like that. Even for more significant supercellular or QLCS tornadoes, they are still often called 'mini tornadoes'. I would guess that at least in the UK, the lack of those strong classic looking plains tornadoes mixed with misunderstanding by general public probably leads to the idea of the weak tornadoes being 'mini'. Maybe something similar in Australia, but those guys are more strong tornado prone.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Strong looking, large tornado that occurred in the Pliego, Spain area. According to ESWD, it only damaged trees and crops, but I bet this thing was capable of producing major damage.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
So apparently this video attributed to the Tuba City, AZ EF3 could actually be the Guaraciaba tornado? I can't even be sure of that as the upload date is 2014, but it is possible if the language being spoken in the background is Portugese.

I have found this! Probably the first proof that this video is from an actual tornado in Brazil

But the date indicates this is from November 2009. reading the description of the video, it says that its from Guaraciaba, Santa Catarina!

gregassagraf

Reaction score
I have found this! Probably the first proof that this video is from an actual tornado in Brazil

But the date indicates this is from November 2009. reading the description of the video, it says that its from Guaraciaba, Santa Catarina!

So this is a second tornado that affected areas around Guaraciaba in 2009! But related to a totally different event 2 months later (most probably!)

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So this is a second tornado that affected areas around Guaraciaba in 2009! But related to a totally different event 2 months later (most probably!)
Wow, great find! Really goes to show just how many of these tornadoes, regardless of how significant they may be, go undocumented in many parts of the world.

As a matter of fact @locomusic01 just uncovered yet another "lost" 5/31/1985 tornado, and while US tornadoes going undocumented is exceptionally rare these days, it seems that's a problem that's yet to be solved elsewhere...

buckeye05

Reaction score
Wow, great find! Really goes to show just how many of these tornadoes, regardless of how significant they may be, go undocumented in many parts of the world.

As a matter of fact @locomusic01 just uncovered yet another "lost" 5/31/1985 tornado, and while US tornadoes going undocumented is exceptionally rare these days, it seems that's a problem that's yet to be solved elsewhere...
Undocumented US tornadoes are rare, but they do happen. Back in 2012-2013ish, I noticed an unwarned, rotating cell that was passing over a golf course/subdivision where my grandparents lived at the time. My grandfather told me a day or two later that he heard a roar during the storm, and found some severe tree damage in a patch of woods while golfing. When I checked it out, I found an approximately 25 yard-wide, half-mile long swath where every tree was snapped in a different direction

So yeah, it can still happen, and no, I didn’t report it for some reason, and I’m still kicking myself for it to this day.

gregassagraf

Reaction score

Yup! A great indicator of how these storms have gone unreported over the years, I have experienced first hand! Between October last year and this February, I managed to register 3 supercells passing by my hometown!

This one I recorded in December last year

And this one was recorded last February

And also this haunting structure back in October
1D4D84F9-2C7B-4A82-9CF9-28B3E0BA88AB.jpeg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Undocumented US tornadoes are rare, but they do happen. Back in 2012-2013ish, I noticed an unwarned, rotating cell that was passing over a golf course/subdivision where my grandparents lived at the time. My grandfather told me a day or two later that he heard a roar during the storm, and found some severe tree damage in a patch of woods while golfing. When I checked it out, I found an approximately 25 yard-wide, half-mile long swath where every tree was snapped in a different direction

So yeah, it can still happen, and no, I didn’t report it for some reason, and I’m still kicking myself for it to this day.
Why not report it now? I'm sure if you had a date, location and perhaps some photos that would be enough. I do have to wonder if the tree damage is still there, or if it's long gone by now. Tornadoes that happen in remote or hard-to-reach areas may have their damage preserved for decades, if not hundreds of years.

I remember reading a story about a mid-90s tornado (1996?) that was not confirmed as a tornado until 25 years later, so more unusual things have happened.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Why not report it now? I'm sure if you had a date, location and perhaps some photos that would be enough. I do have to wonder if the tree damage is still there, or if it's long gone by now. Tornadoes that happen in remote or hard-to-reach areas may have their damage preserved for decades, if not hundreds of years.

I remember reading a story about a mid-90s tornado (1996?) that was not confirmed as a tornado until 25 years later, so more unusual things have happened.
The main issues are that I lost the photos I took, and I for the life of me cannot remember the exact date (I want to say June of 2012 though). Also, after looking at google maps, I can see that the golf course maintenance crew cleaned up the trees, removed the stumps, and planted grass where all the trees were. Unfortunately, its impossible to tell that there were more trees there to begin with, let alone a tornado.

Back