• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

buckeye05

Reaction score
My best guess here was small pieces of wood torn from wood frame structure caused things like debarking. Stone/heavy brick is hard to accelerate into high speed to debark. Also brick/stone walls of masonry structure can serve us a shelter for vegatations nearby.
Damage features that can be seen from wood frame structures like rowing or granulation also seems much harder on masonry structures. These things make the comparsion of intensity between different areas more difficult.
I’d say this is the most likely explanation for this phenomenon.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Damage in Luzice. Large concrete buildings suffered severe superficial & roof damage. Trees were denuded, cars were thrown, and a metal factory was stripped.
Screenshot_2022-01-20_at_22-34-52_Dodelijk_tornado_treft_Zuidoost-Tsjechie_24_06_2021_-_YouTube.png

Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 22-09-05 Průmyslová zóna v obci Lužice po tornádu 26 6 2021 - YouTube.png
Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 22-08-23 Průmyslová zóna v obci Lužice po tornádu 26 6 2021 - YouTube.png
Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 22-07-51 Průmyslová zóna v obci Lužice po tornádu 26 6 2021 - YouTube.png
Screenshot_2022-01-20_at_22-06-41_Prumyslova_zona_v_obci_Luzice_po_tornadu_26_6_2021_-_YouTube.png

Screenshot_2022-01-20_at_22-06-08_Prumyslova_zona_v_obci_Luzice_po_tornadu_26_6_2021_-_YouTube.png

Screenshot_2022-01-20_at_22-04-22_Tornado_v_Jihomoravskem_kraji_I_-_YouTube.png

Screenshot_2022-01-20_at_22-03-31_Tornado_v_Jihomoravskem_kraji_I_-_YouTube.png

Screenshot_2022-01-20_at_21-57-21_Massive_Tornado_in_Czech_Republic_Before_and_After_Pictures_Over_300km_h_-_YouTube.png

Screenshot_2022-01-20_at_21-56-03_Massive_Tornado_in_Czech_Republic_Before_and_After_Pictures_Over_300km_h_-_YouTube.png

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
Taranto tornado 2012 encountered some interesting DI in steel factory. One of them were cranes near the harboue and It lifted at least one of them. It seems to me that It was way more than "several tons" that claimed by an article.
full-bams-d-14-00227.1-f3.jpgtornadotaranto20126-min.png

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Taranto tornado 2012 encountered some interesting DI in steel factory. One of them were cranes near the harboue and It lifted at least one of them. It seems to me that It was way more than "several tons" that claimed by an article.
View attachment 11934View attachment 11935
That tornado also caused waves when it was over water.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Tornado ID,Date/Time,Latitude,Longitude,Nearest town,State,Fujita scale,Number of deaths,Comments,
1138,1876-02-22 00:00:00,-27.4679,153.0280,BRISBANE,QLD,F5,,22nd...BOWEN. Terrific tornado destroyed many houses. (On 26th 100 pounds was sent from Brisbane ).
The only F5 in the official Australian database is apparently the 1876 Bowen tornado. One person was killed and several others were in a "precarious state." Trees were "most carefully [de?]barked but not blown down." A school of arts, hospital, and multiple homes were reported to have been destroyed, some of which were completely leveled. The ground was reportedly "ploughed up in the track of the squall as if a grape and canister was fired." I can't find any newspaper reports of homes being completely swept away with the exception of this one possible description.
Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 14-00-58 DISASTROUS WHIRLWIND AT BOWEN - Mackay Mercury and South Ken...png

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Double waterspout with interesting vortex activity between them (maybe triple waterspout?), off the cost of Italy! Does any one know the specific location of this event?

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Found a report from the tornado that hit Guaraciaba in the outbreak of 09/07/2009:
Apparently, a photo from a family that got their house leveled was found more than 150 kilometers (94 miles) away in the state of Rio Grande do Sul. That is one of the biggest statements about the power of these storms that affected Argentina and south Brazil that night!
Now that photo is part of an permanent exposition of the city museum about the tornado that affected a lot of communities in the city of Guaraciaba.

Last edited:

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Here is a great presentation made by geographer Robert Dyer! He noticed some interesting features in satellite photographs made in the 60s and 70s of forest throughout the region encompassed by the states of Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul in Brazil, and the Provinces of Missiones, Corrientes, Entre Ríos and Buenos Aires in Argentina: various straight line forest clearings, some of which appeared out of nowhere in pictures with less than 1 year in difference. Some of them was as long as 70 km in length and as much as 2 km wide. Another feature noticed is that almost all of them were somewhat in parallel, towards the southeast direction. He than concluded that the only explanation to the phenomena were tornadoes! This is probably the first decent study about this type of event in Brazil.

(the presentation starts at minute 4:00 and ends at minute 9:34)

Also, you can find the presentation in article form in this PDF, which greatly eases the translation! (you can take a screenshot of the page and pass it to google translate which hopefully will give you a better sense of what is being said). The article starts at page 78 and ends at page 94.
PDF

Found a English written article from Robert Dyer that is a English version of the text mentioned above!
Here is the link:
PDF

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Found a report from the tornado that hit Guaraciaba in the outbreak of 09/07/2009:
Apparently, a photo from a family that got their house leveled was found more than 150 kilometers (94 miles) away in the state of Rio Grande do Sul. That is one of the biggest statements about the power of these storms that affected Argentina and south Brazil that night!
Now that photo is part of an permanent exposition of the city museum about the tornado that affected a lot of communities in the city of Guaraciaba.

That outbreak is probably the most violent in South American history alongside the 1959 one.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I have to agree! I wouldn’t be surprised if this tornado at times had wind speeds approaching the borderline of an EF5 tornado.
Since the damage that affected Missiones in Argentina (also rated, as the Guaraciaba storm as a F4), was caused by the same supercell, there is a great chance that this was one long track tornado. Because the lack of appropriate surveys, and the fact that the EF scale was never adapted and consolidated to the conditions in the region, severely interferes with true estimates of wind speeds and identification of such events.
For example, because most building codes in Brazil puts a minimum wind speeds that the structure needs to sustain at about 150 km/h, when such structures get obliterated they rate the tornado as having wind speeds of that sort! This severely dampens the awareness about these types of events. Like the Guaraciaba tornado that was initially reported to have winds speeds between 120-180 km/h even though it managed to level several homes; throw an entire house about 80 yards away from its foundation, not only that but the house landed over a hill, which probably increases the damage indicator; and also throw debris almost 100 miles away from their origins.
I think the precursor to the Guaraciaba tornado, the Misiones Argentina tornado was the strongest one of the outbreak. That tornado produced extreme tree damage with thousands of trees being mowed down and severely debarked. Also, satellite imagery shows that the Misiones tornado was clearly a different tornado.
141616_1.jpg

lg.jpg
378792_171385176290644_167481126_n.jpg

20090907SANPEDROMISIONES15.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
I think the precursor to the Guaraciaba tornado, the Misiones Argentina tornado was the strongest one of the outbreak. That tornado produced extreme tree damage with thousands of trees being mowed down and severely debarked. Also, satellite imagery shows that the Misiones tornado was clearly a different tornado.
141616_1.jpg

lg.jpg
That vegetation damage is pretty high-end. Clearly a very violent tornado.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
141616_1.jpg

lg.jpg

20090907SANPEDROMISIONES15.jpg
Wow! I thought they were produced by the same storm because Guaraciaba is about 30 miles away from where the damage in Argentina occurred. And yes, the tree damage in these photos are impressive! The second one has incredible leves of debarking.
In regards to my quoted post I decided to delete it because I speculated too much specially with the EF5 winds statement I made. But I’ve read multiple times that both tornadoes were produced by the same supercell.

But I can confirm that a lot of tornadoes in the region are extremely underrated! Like the one that devastated communities in the municipality of Muitos Capões, in Rio Grande do Sul, back in 2005: it was only rated as an F2, but considering that it leveled brick masonry constructions, it was definitely an EF3+!

856EAB92-CC8F-4FAF-8E24-532FA93EC1DD.jpeg
00BF873B-8D2C-4FE3-84C5-B057F07642B8.jpeg
AA1E9640-C8F6-48C8-A0E0-4A6437A1954A.jpeg

Another underrated tornado in south Brazil was the one that devastated the town of Nova Laranjeiras back in 1997! This tornado produces some incredible damage, and maybe it was the strongest tornado of the 1990s in the region! According to news sources at the time, it managed to throw a Beetle (car) more than 160 yards away from where it was originally.

Back