• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

buckeye05

Reaction score
From what I've seen, upper floor exterior wall loss was actually more substantial in the 2005 event compared to 1931. The 1931 tornado looks like it was a mid-range F2 to me, but there could be something I missed of course. TBH, for the 2005 tornado I'd probably side with a low-end F3 rating considering one home lost all of its upper floor exterior walls:
1_009.jpg

0_TRMRMMGLPICT000020388425.jpg
Honestly, after taking a close look at these photos and others, I have to agree that the 2005 Bham tornado was a stronger F3 candidate than the one in 1931. I forgot just how much exterior wall loss there was.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Speaking of San Justo... Remember this car that was thrown at least three blocks and propelled by the tornado with such force that it practically embedded itself in the side of San Justo's Hotel California?
img_20230111_135528-jpg.16695

When it was removed from the second story of the hotel, this is what remained of it. Smithville tier vehicle damage:
San-justo-gordini.jpg

Higher quality shot of that swept clean masonry home:
San-justo-home.png

Some tractors that had a bad time:
San-justo-tractor2.jpg
San-justo-tractor2.png

Intense tree damage:
San-justo-tree-damage.png
San-justo-debarking.jpg

Reaction score
Speaking of San Justo... Remember this car that was thrown at least three blocks and propelled by the tornado with such force that it practically embedded itself in the side of San Justo's Hotel California?
img_20230111_135528-jpg.16695

When it was removed from the second story of the hotel, this is what remained of it. Smithville tier vehicle damage:
View attachment 23551

Higher quality shot of that swept clean masonry home:
View attachment 23555

Some tractors that had a bad time:
View attachment 23552
View attachment 23553

Intense tree damage:
View attachment 23562
View attachment 23563
San Justo 1973 is by far one of the most impressive tornadoes to occur in South America

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Made a brief post about this event a while back, but here are some more photos and details.

On November 18, 2011, an unusual and tragic tornado event struck the island of Tokunoshima in Japan's Kagoshima Prefecture. It tracked less than a mile, but became intense very quickly and completely leveled a house, killing three people. Their bodies were found nearly 100 meters (328 feet) away from where the home stood. In addition, some debris from the home was blown downwind and a car was thrown 20 meters (60 feet) up a hill. This was Japan's first fatal (and likely strongest) tornado since 2006, and remains tied with the 2006 Nobeoka tornado as the second deadliest ever recorded in Japan. Yet, despite these feats, this storm didn't receive much media coverage.
https%3A%2F%2Fimgix-proxy.n8s.jp%2FDSXBZO3662509019112011I00002-2.jpg

t01770248_0177024811620450739.jpg

221119_05.jpg

The tornado was given an F2 rating by the JMA but I strongly feel it should have been rated F3. While the destroyed home was obviously not well anchored, it is still a DOD9 residence and this tornado would have very likely achieved a low-end EF3 rating if it occurred in the US. The damage intensity was pretty much identical to the Ellendale, DE tornado from last year imo.

Reaction score
Made a brief post about this event a while back, but here are some more photos and details.

On November 18, 2011, an unusual and tragic tornado event struck the island of Tokunoshima in Japan's Kagoshima Prefecture. It tracked less than a mile, but became intense very quickly and completely leveled a house, killing three people. Their bodies were found nearly 100 meters (328 feet) away from where the home stood. In addition, some debris from the home was blown downwind and a car was thrown 20 meters (60 feet) up a hill. This was Japan's first fatal (and likely strongest) tornado since 2006, and remains tied with the 2006 Nobeoka tornado as the second deadliest ever recorded in Japan. Yet, despite these feats, this storm didn't receive much media coverage.
https%3A%2F%2Fimgix-proxy.n8s.jp%2FDSXBZO3662509019112011I00002-2.jpg

t01770248_0177024811620450739.jpg

221119_05.jpg

The tornado was given an F2 rating by the JMA but I strongly feel it should have been rated F3. While the destroyed home was obviously not well anchored, it is still a DOD9 residence and this tornado would have very likely achieved a low-end EF3 rating if it occurred in the US. The damage intensity was pretty much identical to the Ellendale, DE tornado from last year imo.
From the radar imagery, it looks like it was spawned by a squall line which explains its brief naturerad03.png

Reaction score
JMA also left two of the (likely) violent Japan tornadoes rated as F3. The violent tornadoes that i'm talking about are the Mobara 1990 and Saroma 2006

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
JMA also left two of the (likely) violent Japan tornadoes rated as F3. The violent tornadoes that i'm talking about are the Mobara 1990 and Saroma 2006
I do agree that Japan has had two F4 tornadoes, Mobara being one of them. I don't think Saroma is a solid violent candidate though, since the apartment buildings it destroyed were unanchored prefabs sitting on wooden piles. F3 is acceptable there. The other F4 candidate is Tsukuba 2012, since it managed to sweep away a well anchored home, debark trees and pull a mat foundation out of the ground.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Reaction score
Is there a photo showing wind-rowing in Mobara?
I think it was on Fujita's memoir document. It was a video still from an (lost) aerial video taken from NHK's helicopter and it shows a home that was swept away (and likely windrowed) in the midst of moderately damaged homes and buildings due to the sub vortex B

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think it was on Fujita's memoir document. It was a video still from an (lost) aerial video taken from NHK's helicopter and it shows a home that was swept away (and likely windrowed) in the midst of moderately damaged homes and buildings due to the sub vortex B
This one?
screenshot_20230107_174906_office-jpg.22541

I don't think there's any wind rowing here, but the photo is rather poor quality so it's hard to tell.

tornado-hits-boso-peninsula.jpg

I believe the empty foundation partially visible in the far left side of this photo is the same home btw

Logo 468x120
Back