• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Two impressive tornadoes from Japan:

Tsukuba, Japan – May 6, 2012

View attachment 12197

"At left, the Tsukuba tornado swept a small home completely away adjacent to a five-story apartment complex that was severely damaged. At center, the mat foundation of a destroyed home was uprooted from the ground by the tornado’s powerful updraft. At right, a tree was debarked – a damage feature rarely seen outside the United States". Quote from extremeplanet.wordpress.com

View attachment 12198

"At center right, view of a home that was swept completely away by the Tsukuba tornado. The primary damage swath was often only 20 yards wide". Quote from extremeplanet.wordpress.com

A photograph of it:

View attachment 12199

Hokkaido tornado:

"The tornado left a narrow streak of damage through a strip of buildings lining a highway. All nine deaths occurred in the destruction of a large pre-fabricated apartment building (visible at bottom left)".

View attachment 12200

View attachment 12201

View attachment 12202

One of two known photographs of the tornado:

View attachment 12203

This was thing was rated F3 but given what it did to that one building where all 9 fatalities I don't see why it shouldn't have been rated any less than F4.

Source: https://extremeplanet.wordpress.com...de-the-united-states-canada-france-and-japan/
Oakhurst_Wx has a great rundown of this event on Youtube!

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Two impressive tornadoes from Japan:

Tsukuba, Japan – May 6, 2012

View attachment 12197

"At left, the Tsukuba tornado swept a small home completely away adjacent to a five-story apartment complex that was severely damaged. At center, the mat foundation of a destroyed home was uprooted from the ground by the tornado’s powerful updraft. At right, a tree was debarked – a damage feature rarely seen outside the United States". Quote from extremeplanet.wordpress.com

View attachment 12198

"At center right, view of a home that was swept completely away by the Tsukuba tornado. The primary damage swath was often only 20 yards wide". Quote from extremeplanet.wordpress.com

A photograph of it:

View attachment 12199

Hokkaido tornado:

"The tornado left a narrow streak of damage through a strip of buildings lining a highway. All nine deaths occurred in the destruction of a large pre-fabricated apartment building (visible at bottom left)".

View attachment 12200

View attachment 12201

View attachment 12202

One of two known photographs of the tornado:

View attachment 12203

This was thing was rated F3 but given what it did to that one building where all 9 fatalities I don't see why it shouldn't have been rated any less than F4.

Source: https://extremeplanet.wordpress.com...de-the-united-states-canada-france-and-japan/
The building was very poorly-anchored and it was on top of wooden piles.

Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 16-39-16 guideline_en pdf.png

Reaction score
On the topic of violent Australian tornadoes, the main one that comes to mind is the 1970 Bulahdelah Tornado. I've heard stuff that it uprooted up to a million trees but the lack of photographic evidence makes it hard to tell.

Only report with damage pictures I've been able to find of it:
http://australiasevereweather.com/storm_news/1970/bulahdelah_tornado_report.pdf

Also interesting is that it occurred on New Year's Day. I do wonder if Australia has a tornado season like the States or not. I have a feeling that there are many violent tornadoes that have gone through Australia, but due to it's sparsely populated interior are never seen or reported on.

Supposedly there was another violent tornado in Australia that leveled a ton of forest and even tore out much of the undergrowth, although I'm not sure there's much info on it (assuming I'm remembering correctly).

Reaction score
On the topic of Europe:
A dozen tornadoes tore through southern Poland in the summer of 2008. The most significant tornado of the outbreak was a large, multi-vortex storm that traveled over 60 miles. The tornado tore through an agricultural area and destroyed dozens of rural homes, killing three people. Vehicles caught in the tornado’s path were swept off roads and mangled. Damage photographs indicate the tornado likely caused damage of low-end F3 intensity, although some unofficial sources cite the tornado as an F4. Geographically, Poland is situated in one of the most tornado prone regions in Europe and is one of the few places outside the United States where large tornadoes occur on a semi-regular basis.

Poland .png

The tornado, it's multivortex structure is clearly visible.

Poland 2.png

The deadliest tornado during the August 2008 tornado outbreak leveled homes in southern Poland. The tornado hurled vehicles through the air as it crossed a highway near the Slovakian border. Light-poles on the highway were bent to the ground.

Poland 3.png

Tornado damage in Balcarzowice

Photo gallery of it: https://nto.pl/balcarzowice-traba-powietrzna/ar/4686742

Source of all my info: https://extremeplanet.wordpress.com...de-the-united-states-canada-france-and-japan/

Reaction score
Other photos from the 2015 Ciudad Acuna tornado, the tornado seems to have been pretty narrow.
View attachment 11764
View attachment 11765
View attachment 11766
View attachment 11767
a3-1.jpg
That pic of the red car actually smashed into the pavement....I struggle to process such a thing is even possible. Incredible.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
That pic of the red car actually smashed into the pavement....I struggle to process such a thing is even possible. Incredible.
there is a short video of this tornado, being illuminated by lightning. looked live a very narrow tube! I think that the official F3 rating is underrating this storm. Those were some Well constructed masonry homes, some of which got leveled. it was certainly capable of EF4 damage!

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
The Ciudad Acuna tornado produced some of the most impressive vehicle damage I have seen photographed. What it did to school busses gives Rainsville a run for its money. Definitely should have been rated F4.

Also, some of the homes that were slabbed by the Tsukuba tornado were anchor bolted, and I feel that a strong argument for F4 can be made for that one too.

pohnpei

Reaction score
It seems that Ciudad Acuna tornado only lasted Four minutes and happened in the crake of dawn. What a weird tornado!
IMG_20220216_151629.jpg
Without knowledge of structure strength of that area, it's really hard to judge anything but here's some structure damage I can find. Vehicle damage was undoubtedly violent. In some cases, concrete pillars and varies types of vehicle simply mangled together.
en-fotos-tornado-deja-13-muertos-en-ciudad-acuna-coahuila-216-1432591176.jpg10398103_1023761294315535_5786641982338416946_n.jpgtornado.jpgimg.jpgTornado-azota-Ciudad-Acuña_10.jpg641386.jpeg11000475_899497950109238_6958474185381969570_n.jpgImg_2022-02-16-03-44-31.jpg
Img_2022-02-16-03-45-28.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
It seems that Ciudad Acuna tornado only lasted Four minutes and happened in the crake of dawn. What a weird tornado!
View attachment 12230
Without knowledge of structure strength of that area, it's really hard to judge anything but here's some structure damage I can find. Vehicle damage was undoubtedly violent. In some cases, concrete pillars and varies types of vehicle simply mangled together.
View attachment 12231View attachment 12232View attachment 12233View attachment 12234View attachment 12236View attachment 12237View attachment 12238View attachment 12240
View attachment 12241
The tornado damage swath seems to have been very narrow. Also I wonder what the structural damage would be rated as many of these buildings appear to be built with thick reinforced concrete or masonry walls though they seem to be rather small.

Last edited:

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Incredible nighttime supercell with possible rain-wrapped tornado near Maringá, Brazil.

This city in the northern region of the state of Paraná has consistently had some crazy supercell action throughout the years:

Footage by the stormchasing group Stormaringá.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
8 июня 2010 года через Ярославскую Область прошел торнадо.
Согласно этому сайту, этот торнадо был категории F1 по шкале Фудзиты.

Радиозондирования атмосферы
2010060818-2.gif

Видео

Фотографии
27fcb2f49e08.jpg

791f22cee9e2.jpg

bb6974359529.jpg

bc6f3c85bbea.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One of the most notable Australian tornadoes of the 2000s is the 2005 Coonabarabran tornado. This tornado stayed in rural areas but was likely intense as it snapped/denuded numerous trees, and scoured grass/saffron thistle from the ground.
photo7a.png

photo8a.png

scour.png

photo3.png

photo5.png

buckeye05

Reaction score
Back