• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threats 1/19-1/20 2017 (Thursday - Friday)

Reaction score
Figured it was time to get a thread going for this weekend as it now appears that there will at least be some threat for the southeastern states. Looks like the only questions now are what areas will have the greatest risk and how significant the threat will be. I think the ceiling for this threat is pretty high. The 12z gfs is showing cape values in excess of 1000 j/k over much of Alabama at the at hr 150, and EHI already at 1-2 over a good portion of Alabama and we still have a few days left until this thing materializes.

Last edited:

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Maybe my most recent post should be moved here. I think the main question is how far north due to the possibility of coastal convection. I agree, impressive instability numbers for mid January showing days out on GFS.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Mods/admin can we please pin this thread. Thanks!

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Decided to change the title to include discussion for the Thursday/Friday system since these two will be coming in back to back. Thursday/Friday looks a lot less potent but still warrants discussion.

Good idea!

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Can y'all reiterate what we are expecting tomorrow??

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think there will be a few brief spinnups, maybe something a little longer but not a widespread event

Thanks! I know the weekend event could be worse but I just don't want everyone relaxing about Thursday's!!

SASQUATCH

Reaction score
For the 1/19 event, what I'm seeing is moist layers all throughout the atmosphere. That would limit the instability would it not?

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Back