• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat May 7-10, 2024

Wind Driven Coconut

Reaction score
Just got texted by my daughter (student at FSU) asking why I didn’t warn her! I humbly submit my weather enthusiast resignation to the powers that be.

In all seriousness, she has no power, campus has no power, and she sent a short video that showed intense straight line winds and a very low cloud deck. One of the TDS signatures passed directly over her location so I’m very thankful it’s not worse.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
I work at the Capitol Complex in downtown Tallahasssee, and we’ve been instructed to stay home for the day and that widespread damage and power outages have been reported throughout the city. No confirmation but that’s what we were told.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Just an update. Tallahassee has had its worst weather event ever probably, exceeding Hurricane Kate in 1985. 70% of the city (somewhere around 150-200,000 people) is without power. 11 substations had damage or failed transmission lines. Over 100 power poles destroyed. Over 250 road blockages. Thousands of downed trees. Many snapped in half. Mutual aid has been called in from neighboring states and a disaster area has been declared. We’ve been told it’ll likely be next week sometime when power is restored. 1 known fatality so far. The NWS in Tallahassee is surveying the area tomorrow and have three tracks to look at plus straight line wind swaths. Gonna be a long weekend but at least most everyone is safe. University students have largely vacated for summer, so at least it could’ve been worse.

Clancy

Reaction score
Just an update. Tallahassee has had its worst weather event ever probably, exceeding Hurricane Kate in 1985. 70% of the city (somewhere around 150-200,000 people) is without power. 11 substations had damage or failed transmission lines. Over 100 power poles destroyed. Over 250 road blockages. Thousands of downed trees. Many snapped in half. Mutual aid has been called in from neighboring states and a disaster area has been declared. We’ve been told it’ll likely be next week sometime when power is restored. 1 known fatality so far. The NWS in Tallahassee is surveying the area tomorrow and have three tracks to look at plus straight line wind swaths. Gonna be a long weekend but at least most everyone is safe. University students have largely vacated for summer, so at least it could’ve been worse.
Stay safe, stay cool, stay hydrated!