• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat May 7-10, 2024

Evan

Reaction score
I cannot believe this. Appears to be right on top of one of the earlier areas that had entrapments.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I guess we will wait & see what happens with that the storms that come thru early am & then the pm. These have overperformed & the SPC already increased Cen AL to 3/5. Hopefully the trend reverses & we don't see SPC give us a 4/5 for Thu night/Fri am.

Clancy

Reaction score
Side note, what radar are you using? GR2A? I don't quite recognize those displays/products.
That's correct, GR2A. I cooked up custom color palettes for velocity and reflectivity because the pre-existing colors hurt my eyes, especially against the landsat background.

Evan

Reaction score
The entire time my family lived near Sand Mountain this was just common. Rotating storms get there and then that's when they produce. The amount of Sand Mountain tornadoes is just unbelievable. There's got to be a study on this because it is uncanny how often it happens.

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The entire time my family lived near Sand Mountain this was just common. Rotating storms get there and then that's when they produce. The amount of Sand Mountain tornadoes is just unbelievable. There's got to be a study on this because it is uncanny how often it happens.
I was wondering about that too. I wonder if it has something to do with the river, then the mountain. Some kind of upslope effect.

Clancy

Reaction score
Legitimately dizzy now from all of this, and am probably going to try and get some shut eye. But I leave you with this; Alabama and Georgia folks, do not let your guard down as the additional storms currently out west move in. Modelling has been consistent in presenting a very potent line of storms moving in late late tonight into the morning hours. If today was any indicator, it'd be unwise to turn your back on these.
floop-hrrr-2024050904.refcmp_uh001h.us_se.gif

Evan

Reaction score
I was wondering about that too. I wonder if it has something to do with the river, then the mountain. Some kind of upslope effect.

I know Tim Coleman at UAH specifically studied the influence of Sand Mountain and the interaction of slopes, valleys, and ridges. Two of his test cases were two of the 2011 Sand Mountain tornadoes. But I think that was years ago and I'm thinking more macro level such as mapping out how many tornados occur on Sand Mountain overall versus areas nearby with dissimilar terrain. It's fascinating for sure!

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Tony Lyza did a sizable portion of his PhD dissertation on this.

Evan

Reaction score

Evan

Reaction score
Henager FD reporting a serious injury with head trauma and damage to the extremities.

Henager continues to call for additional mutual aid. Now calling in all Ider and Cartersville Fire. Few moments ago they called in Blake FD.

I'm very concerned about what daylight is going to reveal.