• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat May 7-10, 2024

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The second storm that's about to climb Sand Mountain is looking stronger again. Almost same track as the first storm, I hope the responders and people surveying their damage don't get caught off guard, or disregard new warnings.

Evan

Reaction score
Henager requesting all available personnel from Powell FD which is further west of Sylvania. Sounds like Highway 40 is blocked.

I still don't have a good read on how widespread the damage is. Looking at Google maps I see red traffic areas all along Highway 40 and, of course, at the 40/75 crossroad.

Evan

Reaction score
Henager requesting all available personnel from Powell FD which is further west of Sylvania. Sounds like Highway 40 is blocked.

I still don't have a good read on how widespread the damage is. Looking at Google maps I see red traffic areas all along Highway 40 and, of course, at the 40/75 crossroad.

Confirmed that one of the areas on 40 near the Cadence Bank was heavily damaged. It was stated that a home was completely destroyed. 5 adult occupants and 3 children. No information on injuries. Drive-in theater is also in the same vicinity.

Evan

Reaction score
The second storm that's about to climb Sand Mountain is looking stronger again. Almost same track as the first storm, I hope the responders and people surveying their damage don't get caught off guard, or disregard new warnings.

County 911 just did a freeze on any further units responding until this cell passes. They've been getting frequent updates on the coming tornado warned cell over the county FD/911 radio network.

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm a little less worried about responders than I am the family with a tree on their house (and they're otherwise fine, so no police/fire with them with their radios), power's out, and no one can hear the alert on their cellphone as they're milling about looking at it. I don't mean that in an insulting way, I had a tree down on my house four years ago and that's what I and my neighbors all did right after, stand around outside looking at it.

Evan

Reaction score
The Henager situation is just heartbreaking to me. It's such a beautiful little town with the nicest salt-of-the-earth people you can find.

Damn. Scanner just went out right as the new Henager cell started to get a tight couplet.

Evan

Reaction score
Oh my God. TDS again. Some of the same area already hit.