• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat May 7-10, 2024

Reaction score
Weird the sirens in Southern Huntsville went off for one round then ended. Kinda curious why they have such a big lead time but kill the sirens early?
Is it a regional/ municipal difference? Where I grew up, the sirens went off to alert you, but didn't stay on for the duration of the warning. Where I went to college, the sirens stayed on for the duration of the warning.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
They go off for around 3 minutes? Usually standard practice to run alert mode (or sometimes wail) for 3-5 minutes per warning.
Yeah that's about right. They just turned on again, spoke too soon I guess. Not sure why there was such a huge gap

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Is it a regional/ municipal difference? Where I grew up, the sirens went off to alert you, but didn't stay on for the duration of the warning. Where I went to college, the sirens stayed on for the duration of the warning.
Usually they have to turn off the sirens so they don't overheat if they're using traditional air raid sirens, so they keep them on only for a few minutes before needing to turn them off and let them cool off. After a few more minutes they can turn it back on and repeat if they want.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah that's about right. They just turned on again, spoke too soon I guess. Not sure why there was such a huge gap
My EX-wife was with Marshall Co. (AL) EMA and they were set off by radio. If someone keyed a mic it could have given it a stop. They can also talk across them (I miss the Arsenal BIG VOICE)

Reactions: KoD

HazardousWx

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4SSW
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Weird the sirens in Southern Huntsville went off for one round then ended. Kinda curious why they have such a big lead time but kill the sirens early?
They run on a cycle of just a few minutes. They have the option of doing a manual re-sound if they want to.