• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat May 7-10, 2024

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see Alabama wants to join the party now.
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
There's no TDS on the Greenville storm yet, think they lucked out for the most part.

Reaction score
So does the NWS want to include population in PDS and TORE warnings or do they not? Because this basically goes against the memo that was sent out yesterday.

If they want to, that's fine and I don't fully disagree with it, but they need to pick a side of the fence to be on.
I included it in the other thread, but population was part of guidance not too long ago. It was also just a tweet from what I assume is a current NWS meteorologist. While there is guidance, as we’ve seen today and throughout every event, it’s not always applied evenly. I would also say that TORE has more consultation to it than the tweet said.

Reaction score
It will be harder and harder to get people to pay attention to a regular TOR if you are issuing a PDS for something like that.
The average Joe that is sitting in their safe room or basement, doing what they’re supposed to do, likely never know a warning is upgraded to PDS or whatever tag is on it. We focus on it because we know about it, they just think tornado warning and did anyone see it or is it just radar observed. Conversations at spotter classes and other public education events make this a glaring reality.

Back to the event.