• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

Tennie

Reaction score
I wish I could stay up to track the overnight storms, but I have work tomorrow and I need a good night's sleep. As such, I intend to call it a night now, then come back tomorrow to see how things went overnight. I also hope you guys have a good night, and I'll see you tomorrow!

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
It would be a foolish person who would turn his or her back on this at this stage in the game, especially given how April 27th a couple Saturdays ago ended up evolving. But if we somehow manage to squeeze out of this without a higher-end tornado event, this would be the equivalent of throwing a lit match into a container full of gasoline, but instead of it igniting, you accidentally threw it a little too strong and the match immediately submerged into the liquid and ended up dousing the flame instead.

Tanner

Reaction score
It would be a foolish person who would turn his or her back on this at this stage in the game, especially given how April 27th a couple Saturdays ago ended up evolving. But if we somehow manage to squeeze out of this without a higher-end tornado event, this would be the equivalent of throwing a lit match into a container full of gasoline, but instead of it igniting, you accidentally threw it a little too strong and the match immediately submerged into the liquid and ended up dousing the flame instead.
It's insane man. I'm very perplexed about what is occurring. Warm nose perhaps?

Reaction score

More Mets starting to throw in the towel. I don’t think it’s a reach to say this is failing to live up to the hype.

It's either that or some sort of instant gratification issue...there's still five and a half hours until the threat for Oklahoma is over, but then again I think we all were expecting something more than the handful of cells, the tornado or two, and then that handful of cells collapsing into each other. The upside is always that there is less people hurt and lives affected, even if we're disappointed by not seeing the severe phenomena we were expecting.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
1) The event is still not over, the most hostile environment was always gonna be near OKC. But 2) If the SPC didn't pull the trigger today, they'd been called stupid and negligent all across the Wx community, and for good reason - the parameters today are as high as you'll ever see them.

So regardless of what happens or doesn't happen, I think High was the right call.

Clancy

Reaction score
Hopefully nothing will come of them, but I'll always find these smaller storms the most intriguing, even on days like these. They often manage to do weird or interesting things, despite their small size or relatively low reflectivity returns.

Edit: And as I'm typing this, one of these cells north of the one pictured has gone TOR-warned.
1715045720281.png

Logo 468x120