• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Plenty of CAPE. Shear is pretty weak.

View attachment 26437View attachment 26438
All eyes (including mine) are primarily on Oklahoma, and for good reason. But these sneaky TN setups beyond fascinate me. High shear, low CAPE setups in that region have multiple times ended in disaster (3/3/2020 and 12/9/2023 for example) but the parameters seem to be flip-flopped this time around. Curious how things will unfold over there.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
We are in now cast mode but 19z HRRR paints a menacing picture through tonight. Even has one or two “tail end Charlie’s” firing south of the congealed line tonight in Oklahoma
I don't see any way for tonight not to be devastating for someone, somewhere. Hopefully we're all wrong.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Storm-Net Point Forecast for Sterling KS. I used to live here as a professor, so it holds a special place for me. If anyone wants a point forecast from Storm-Net (goes out 3 hours), let me know and I'll post it when I get the chance.

1715027385482.png

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Oklahoma storms are starting to fire! One SVR already, if I could count correctly (to 1 lol)

KevinH

Reaction score
1715028058477.png

Mesoscale Discussion 0655
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0335 PM CDT Mon May 06 2024

Areas affected...Northwest OK

Concerning...Tornado Watch 189...

Valid 062035Z - 062130Z

The severe weather threat for Tornado Watch 189 continues.

SUMMARY...Initial supercell development across northwest Oklahoma will pose a primary near-term risk for large to very large hail. Tornado threat should increase rapidly towards 5 to 6 pm.

DISCUSSION...Most prominent convective development on the dryline south of KS has been in the Ellis county vicinity of northwest OK.

Additional cells should form farther south towards I-40 based on the agitated CU field noted in the southeast TX Panhandle. These cells will likely evolve into long-track supercells as they mature with a primary initial threat of large to very large hail. OK-Mesonet surface observations confirm the leading edge of upper 60s dew points are along a line from roughly Tipton to Lahoma. As these cells impinge on the greater low-level buoyancy and stronger low-level shear over central OK (per comparison of FDR/TLX/VNX VWP data), potential for tornadoes will increase substantially during the early evening. This scenario is supported by recent WoFS guidance.

..Grams.. 05/06/2024