• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Snippet from a discussion just posted by OUN, they expect supercells throughout the event.

EVERY storm will be equally capable of producing dangerous tornadoes and destructive hail. Many (most?) people will NOT see any storms at all! We are only expecting a small number of storms. We could have 2-3, we could have 10. The thing to remember is if you see a storm near you, assume it's a dangerous storm. We have not experienced a day like this in quite some time. We expect storms to become supercells quickly after they form, and they should remain supercells through the event. We do not expect them to form into a squall line or cluster. The potential for tornadoes will INCREASE after dark, so do not let your guard down. Wind shear - which is already plenty for tornadoes this afternoon - will only become more favorable after dark. This is important! Clouds will NOT prevent storms from forming today or lessen their severity. The cap (a layer of warm air above the surface) will NOT prevent storms from forming today.
Good god this is some extreme wording.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Just an intriguing caveat....the HazCast AI machine-learning model actually has the Kansas City area with the highest tor chances...(the following frames move eastward, but the coloration remains the same through about 03Z.)

1715011343066.png

MoonBaby

Knew It Would Happen
Reaction score
I remember on April 27 2011 (I am absolutely not comparing this to that I assure you), one of the first things James Spann said when breaking in for long form coverage was “conditions are as strong as they are ever going to be today”.
It makes me uncomfortable that I have already read several people say that verbatim on twitter. Again I’m not comparing the two events, it’s just a sentence that now makes me nauseous when I hear it/see it.

SmokeEater

Reaction score
I remember on April 27 2011 (I am absolutely not comparing this to that I assure you), one of the first things James Spann said when breaking in for long form coverage was “conditions are as strong as they are ever going to be today”.
It makes me uncomfortable that I have already ready several people say that verbatim on twitter. Again I’m not comparing the two events, it’s just a sentence that now makes me nauseous when I hear it.
He also said those same words as OUN is stressing a little while after the Birmingham tornado... If you have a storm near you tonight, assume there's a tornado approaching..

TornadoFan

Reaction score
Day 1 Convective Outlook
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
1102 AM CDT Mon May 06 2024

Valid 061630Z - 071200Z

...THERE IS A HIGH RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM CENTRAL AND
NORTHERN OKLAHOMA INTO SOUTH-CENTRAL KANSAS...

...SUMMARY...
A regional outbreak of severe weather with multiple intense (EF3+),
long-tracked tornadoes, as well as very large hail and severe
thunderstorm gusts, is expected over parts of the south-central
Plains from this afternoon through evening.

SmokeEater

Reaction score
Jesus...

Several discrete supercells are expected to traverse across a large portion of the Moderate and High-Risk equivalent tornado probabilities. Tornadoes, some of which can be intense( EF3+), are forecast late this afternoon and well into the evening. Some model guidance shows regenerative supercell development across central OK this evening. Have extended the High Risk slightlyf arther south to account for this possibility.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Looks like first TOR watch of the day coming for Kansas/Nebraska shortly.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Have to imagine there may be a 45 hatch at 20z if trends continue toward good confidence in coverage and location
Yeah there’s been a trend toward more coverage which might justify an increase, guess we’ll see what the next couple of CAM runs think.

Also I noticed in Trey’s video that one of the soundings popped 5/20/57 at Topeka as an analog, which was the day of the Ruskin Heights F5.