• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
That is still some very, very concerning wording.
"MULTIPLE INTENSE, LONG-TRACK TORNADOES ARE EXPECTED"
That's wording worthy of a High Risk. I would be VERY surprised if we don't see an upgrade later in the day.
1714975685812.png
This is the part that explicitly talks about that.

Reaction score
Yes, cyclic/long-track. It's just a question of how many that's the deciding factor between upper-end MDT Risk and upgrade to HIGH Risk.
I live near Wichita so I must be in the higher end environment. It will be warm and muggy with temperatures in the low to upper 70s and dewpoints in the low/mid to upper 60s.

Edit

This is for my area when the storms are occurring.

Temp Range...69.0°F to 75.0°F

Dew Range...62.0°F to 67.0°F

Last edited:

jiharris0220

Reaction score
The thing about may 20, 2019 was that it was really only the hrrr that was forecasting a tornado apocalypse. But even that model went with a messy storm mode the day before.

I remember people were really having their doubts about that day as most other models had a sloppy storm mode with quick linear growth in western Oklahoma with little pre frontal supercells.

And of course the rest is history on what happened, can’t say the same for today though other than the possibility of lack of storms.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Based on everything I've seen overnight and early this morning, if I was the SPC forecaster on desk for the 13z outlook this morning, these are the slight expansions and the risk upgrade I would be making:
1714986318448.png
Consistent signal for violence in north-central Oklahoma starting around 4-5pm and then ramping up after 6-7pm (meaning the updrafts also get rooted at the sfc before the nocturnal inversion develops). Also seeing a concerning signal for a tail-end charlie on the southern side of the Kansas QLCS that may be a supercell with violent tornado potential on the southern end.... near or south of the Wichita metro, and probably starting a bit sooner than the OK threat.

Very deeply and gravely concerned by the consistent HRRR depiction of that lead supercell in the OK cluster putting down a mesoscale boundary for the following long-track supercells to ride along in a synoptic background environment that's already very supportive of long-lived EF4+ tornadoes...

Reaction score
Based on everything I've seen overnight and early this morning, if I was the SPC forecaster on desk for the 13z outlook this morning, these are the slight expansions and the risk upgrade I would be making:
View attachment 26365
Consistent signal for violence in north-central Oklahoma starting around 4-5pm and then ramping up after 6-7pm (meaning the updrafts also get rooted at the sfc before the nocturnal inversion develops). Also seeing a concerning signal for a tail-end charlie on the southern side of the Kansas QLCS that may be a supercell with violent tornado potential on the southern end.... near or south of the Wichita metro, and probably starting a bit sooner than the OK threat.

Very deeply and gravely concerned by the consistent HRRR depiction of that lead supercell in the OK cluster putting down a mesoscale boundary for the following long-track supercells to ride along in a synoptic background environment that's already very supportive of long-lived EF4+ tornadoes...
Do you think Wichita could end up in a high risk?

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
The eastern extent of the 15/30% seems to have contracted a bit vs. 00Z. Is there a reason for this? What about overnight activity? @Fred Gossage
I don't pay attention to Nadocast, what drives it, how it behaves, what it had for dinner last night, none of the things. :D :cool: The threat for long-track intense supercells will continue into the late evening, but they will eventually cluster/line out at some point over in eastern Oklahoma as they interact with each other more and more. The long-track violent tornado threat definitely continues deep into the evening though.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Do you think Wichita could end up in a high risk?
It's possible but those decisions are all about confidence, and unless there is a trend toward storm mode staying more discrete for longer in south central Kansas, the higher confidence in discrete long-track supercells is on the Oklahoma side of the state line. That doesn't mean there can't be a long-track EF4+ tornado in southern Kansas though, even if it stays Moderate there.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I should mention that up into south central to southeast Kansas, even if the cells on the southern end of the convective band are a bit clustery, there could still be multiple strong to potentially violent tornadoes, similar to what happened in south central Oklahoma back on the late evening of April 27th. The cleaner and fully discrete "classic outbreak" type supercells are more likely to be in north to central Oklahoma (and we'll watch the cap for farther southwest for a loner), but that doesn't negate possibly having multiple strong to even violent tornadoes a few counties farther north of there on the Kansas side if the cells are a bit clustered.