• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat: May 2-5, 2021

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
It's going to take more than the sun coming out to destabilize northwest Alabama. The outflow with the morning round is still sinking south with time. That means it's going to be harder to recover dewpoints, despite the sun maybe coming out and temperatures with time getting back into the mid 70s. In addition to that, if winds do become more southerly over north Alabama, we're not advecting an unstable air mass northward. We are instead advecting from an area with rain-cooled air and overturned lapse rates. The threat isn't over for north Alabama to the north of these storms, but it's a whole lot lower than it otherwise would be, and I'm growing increasingly skeptical.

Evan

Reaction score
I’m hoping all of us in and north of this cluster of storms over north-central Alabama right now will be sparred anything too bad from the line this evening. My temperature and dew point have already fallen back into the mid-60s, so hopefully the energy over this part of the state is getting used up.

I'm at 79 temp in McCalla. Looks like it is upper 70s in the southern Birmingham suburbs and still low to mid 70s in Birmingham proper. But, yeah, hopefully this heavy rain will reduce the threat in the areas it is currently passing over. I guess my question would be if there are any breaks in precip that allows things to warm back up.

Edit: to Fred's point I think areas north of the precip definitely face a reduced threat now because they can't really advect in warm air from areas to the south getting inundated with rain.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Is anyone else having trouble getting TW to load? It is loading really slowly for me, but other sites seem fine. I’ve noticed this on two different internet connections today.
I'll kick in the extra server just to make sure we handle the bumps in load.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
70/66 here, hopefully far enough in the rain cooled mass to keep things tame up here this evening. Had some tasks today but looking like there might not be enough breaks between the rounds to get much of it done haha

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Additional servers are about to come online. Thanks to our sustaining members (those with the 2021 Supporter title) for helping us out during busy times.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Clancy

Reaction score
The storms rolling through the ATL metro produced lightning that briefly knocked out power here and vaporized a few trees in my neighborhood.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I assume the reason SPC hasnt expanded MOD Risk further north relates to the ongoing convection in north & central AL.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We've got our first severe thunderstorm watch of the year up here. Several tornado warnings yesterday without even being in a severe thunderstorm watch somehow.

Back