• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat January 23-25, 2023

akt1985

Reaction score
According to the latest MD, the warm front is stuck along the immediate coast. Anyone see any signs of it trying to move north further inland?

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Personally think it won't get past HWY 84. Mobile NWS mentioned that the best risk of strong tornadoes would be along the coastal counties.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Haven't had time to check much, but a pic of the Houston tornado @1:15 in this news vid:

Heard many chasers caught it too. So far all I've seen would be EF2 at worst.

Reaction score
Definitely at least a couple of notable tornadoes from the Houston area to SW LA yesterday. Difficulty with the warm sector's progression inland has otherwise mostly kept this event in check so far, which was well within the expected realm of possibilities.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The Deer Park tornado has been given a preliminary rating of 'at least' EF2.

Just got upped to EF3 based on a collapsed metal truss tower per the DAT. I wouldn't be surprised if they find some EF3 structural damage too, based on some of the photos I've seen.

Can anyone recall the last time there was an F3/EF3 or stronger tornado in the Houston metro area? I strongest I can recall is the Pasadena/La Porte EF2 from October 2015. Obviously they got clobbered during the November 92' outbreak, but other than that, they don't get hit badly too often, especially compared to the DFW metroplex.

OHWX97

Reaction score
Can anyone recall the last time there was an F3/EF3 or stronger tornado in the Houston metro area? I strongest I can recall is the Pasadena/La Porte EF2 from October 2015. Obviously they got clobbered during the November 92' outbreak, but other than that, they don't get hit badly too often, especially compared to the DFW metroplex.
The only F3 tornado to occur in the Houston metro between yesterday's tornado and the November 1992 tornadoes was one that struck La Porte, Texas on March 30, 2002.

Last edited:

JPWX

Reaction score
Just got upped to EF3 based on a collapsed metal truss tower per the DAT. I wouldn't be surprised if they find some EF3 structural damage too, based on some of the photos I've seen.

F3 hit south of La Porte, Texas on March 30th, 2002. There was an F3 on January 1st, 1999 that hit east of Liberty, Texas. Prior to 1992, there was an F3 north of Houston on February 5th, 1986, another F3 that came close to downtown Houston on December 13th, 1977, another F3 that occurred South of Houston affecting League City on March 8th, 1976. F3 tornado hit Pasadena, Texas on September 8th, 1969. Interestingly enough, as far as ENSO state, 1977 was Neutral, 2002 was Neutral, 1992 was El Nino, 1999 was La Nina, 1986 was Neutral, 1976 was La Nina, and 1969 was Neutral. Another interesting fact: 1976 and 1999 were 3 year La Ninas.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Would you mind sharing some of the more impressive photos you've seen? I haven't come across anything that stands out as being higher than EF2.
There's been a few houses that lost roofs and exterior walls in Pasadena, including this two story home that was almost completely destroyed. There was also a Crossfit gym housed in a metal warehouse building that was mostly flattened.
FnVaYNdXEBEsIGD

FnV-zjEWIBENDND

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Some well-formed offshore supercells headed towards the Outer Banks w/ a corresponding MD
E84FF688-8372-480D-964E-C95AF13898FA.png

Back