• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat - Jan 2nd - Jan 4th, 2023

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
ef591c0b95cb05002bd04553cc5abd12.jpg

something to watch

Jacob

Reaction score
No warning on it currently, but there’s a pretty good circulation approaching the Sylacauga area. It’s not overly tight at the moment, but I’d treat it as if it was a warning if I lived there.

Clancy

Reaction score
No warning on it currently, but there’s a pretty good circulation approaching the Sylacauga area. It’s not overly tight at the moment, but I’d treat it as if it was a warning if I lived there.
SVR on it now. No tornado possible tag, though.

1672776276502.png

KevinH

Reaction score
Most impressive signatures I've seen this entire 2-day event so far.

Spann is great, but he needs to get out of the habit of saying "possible tornado" when there's a clear TDS. That means there's nothing "possible" about it, it's down.
I dont think he is able/allowed to call it a tornado unless and until it is confirmed by the NWS??

Reaction score
I dont think he is able/allowed to call it a tornado unless and until it is confirmed by the NWS??

NWS usually calls it a confirmed tornado (TORR) within a scan or two after the TDS pops up.

It's standard practice for local media mets to wait for the NWS to avoid a situation where one channel says "tornado warning" but others don't, possibly leading to confusion among the audience, but I would think if a met sees something significant that the NWS has missed they are duty-bound to call it.

Gary England used to do this all the time, he wrote about it in his book "Tornadoes, Television, and Turmoil." He got some blowback from the NWS for it, but kept doing it with a generally positive response from the viewing public. In fairness, this was at a time (early '80s) when KWTV had acquired (at his urging) their own Doppler radar, but the national NEXRAD wasn't yet operational, so their warnings were often in fact better than everyone else's, including the NWS.