• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat April 23-24, 2021

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The atmosphere is gonna have to make a dramatic recovery. Right now 62/26 in Atlanta.
I remember many of us questioned the forecast dramatic temp & dewpoint jump Easter 2020. By noon Sunday the warm & muggy air had arrived. However, its possible that not having the buoyant atmosphere did slightly temper the severity of the outbreak. We had fewer supercells & more linear tornadoes with just 1 or 2 "violent" tornadoes.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I remember many of us questioned the forecast dramatic temp & dewpoint jump Easter 2020. By noon Sunday the warm & muggy air had arrived. However, its possible that not having the buoyant atmosphere did slightly temper the severity of the outbreak. We had fewer supercells & more linear tornadoes with just 1 or 2 "violent" tornadoes.
That outbreak produced three EF4s and 13 EF3s....

I’m not sure if you’re referring to the outbreak as a whole, or just what went on in your locale, but there was more than just a few strong to violent long-trackers across various states that day.

Last edited:

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That outbreak produced three EF4s and 13 EF3s....

I’m not sure if you’re referring to the outbreak as a whole, or just what went on in your locale, but there was more than just a few strong to violent long-trackers across various states that day.
I don't deny it was really bad or intend to slight the significance of that outbreak. And maybe it's because AL wasn't hit as hard or the SPCs repeated reluctance/refusal to go with the slight risk. But, the initial cool/dry atmosphere may have limited the EF4+ total. Had the warm/humid airmass arrived earlier I think we would've had even more violent/long-track tornadoes.

As for the present, I notice that now the SPC & BMX has upped most of AL to Enhanced.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few minutes ago, a chaser stream showed a brief but rather photogenic tornado with this storm west of Vernon or southeast of Quanah, TX.

Attachments

• FDR_2254.png
    FDR_2254.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • FDR_2256.png
    FDR_2256.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

TCLwx

Reaction score
Kevin Selle’s coverage on KFDX just had a chaser 7mi W of Vernon, TX with multiple vortex/sister tornadoes on live stream.

Tennie

Reaction score
Mark Drees has a tornado on his stream:

Reaction score
Mark Drees has a tornado on his stream:

Large debris cloud now, "large and extremely dangerous" verbiage used in warning.

Attachments

• FDR_2314.png
    FDR_2314.png
    1 MB · Views: 0

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It looks like the NAM is coming around to the HRRR with most of the action south in Georgia centered on Columbus-Macon in two rounds, morning looks to be south, afternoon looks to be north, but not really into Atlanta metro. I'm heading out tomorrow morning and probably targeting in between Columbus and Macon for the first round, follow it east, then double back for round two.

Last edited:

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That Columbus-Macon-Atlanta triangle seems to be one of the real hot spots in Georgia for whatever reason. In addition to the recent EF4 in Newnan, there was the Barnesville EF3 that tracked through there on 4/27/11 and another EF3 further south near Americus on 3/1/07 (same day as the Enterprise tornado). The cell that spawned the Beauregard tornado also produced a strong tornado in that general area.

Bevo

Reaction score
The latest tornado watch for Alabama/Georgia/Florida panhandle given a moderate risk for strong tornado(es):

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm down here in Americus currently, I'm getting lunch then relocating west toward Cusseta, GA. The HRRR is still showing some development potential though it's definitely nothing like was shown earlier.

Argus

Reaction score
Temperatures are rising into the low 60's here. 1:54 PM

3:25 PM update now 69 degrees and peeks of sun.

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back