• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 4/27-4/28, 2024 - (Saturday, Sunday)

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Okay, but there have been times where tornado emergencies have been issued for smaller towns.
It's subjective from office to office based on individual WFO philosophy. They're also more likely to go emergency for smaller towns or rural areas if they believe the tornado may be full-on violent EF4-EF5, as opposed to more likely "just" EF3 but possibly stronger.

Reaction score
It's subjective from office to office based on individual WFO philosophy. They're also more likely to go emergency for smaller towns or rural areas if they believe the tornado may be full-on violent EF4-EF5, as opposed to more likely "just" EF3 but possibly stronger.
I am no meteorologist but how can you tell something on radar is just an EF3 tornado or stronger vs an EF4 or EF5?

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I am no meteorologist but how can you tell something on radar is just an EF3 tornado or stronger vs an EF4 or EF5?
You can't for sure, but you have a higher confidence in the tornado being EF4+ if you have things like we saw in the Omaha metro yesterday.... delta-v over 200+ mph only hundreds of feet above ground, debris 20-25,000 ft aloft and higher, a TBSS coming from a debris ball, etc., etc.

Reaction score
You can't for sure, but you have a higher confidence in the tornado being EF4+ if you have things like we saw in the Omaha metro yesterday.... delta-v over 200+ mph only hundreds of feet above ground, debris 20-25,000 ft aloft and higher, a TBSS coming from a debris ball, etc., etc.
I heard some places today had debris balls over 25,000 to 30,000 feet high. Though I can't know for sure but I do feel pretty confident that violent tornado damage did occur somewhere today. Maybe a PDS vs a Tornado Emergency may also vary from each NWS office.

Evan

Reaction score
Velocity has been going kind of haywire on KTLX, so it's hard to make things out, though this couplet remains and is visible.
View attachment 26014

Yeah, not sure what's up with the velocity on KTLX. I've been having to use the Durant radar and KCRI. I presume you can also get KCRI with Gibson Ridge products?

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There is a User Defined Product call TDS Height to EF Scale shader for GR2A. I'm not sure they using that or not.

The shader isn't trying to give a fine-grained EF scale but rather shows where in the EF violins the height falls

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I heard some places today had debris balls over 25,000 to 30,000 feet high. Though I can't know for sure but I do feel pretty confident that violent tornado damage did occur somewhere today. Maybe a PDS vs a Tornado Emergency may also vary from each NWS office.
Yes, and that's what I was talking about with there being differences in office philosophy. It's all subjective without any hard "yes or no" lines drawn anywhere in NWS directive.

Back