• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Event 3/28/17-3/31/17

pritchlaw

Reaction score
Lots of rain
After looking at radar tonight and new models, I am beginning to believe there isn't going to be much in Alabama. Could be wrong, but looking at radar right now, I could see how the line could disrupt the flow and/or reduce CAPE across the state.
Richard, looking at what is developing now, what do you think regarding the rain to the S and SW of Central Alabama at the moment?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Suns out in Hillsboro

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather
I feel this is a fitting tune to our progression from forecasting to nowcasting with this system.

pritchlaw

Reaction score
Getting really windy in Warrior. Spann blog says high winds moving through this area soon.

Reaction score
HRRR seemed to have a good handle on things this morning. It has consistently showed upscale growth of the convective line as it moves out of LA into Southern MS and AL. Also, convection along the front (N MS) tries to get going later today. Some stronger, marginally severe, cores could develop in these areas. This solution seems reasonable to me, given the current disposition of the environment. And I'm beginning to think the SLGT may not verify.

Last edited:

Matt Grantham

Meteorologist
Reaction score
HRRR seemed to have a good handle on things this morning. It has consistently showed upscale growth of the convective line as it moves out of LA into Southern MS and AL. Also, convection along the front (N MS) tries to get going later today. Some stronger, marginally severe, cores could develop in these areas. This solution seems reasonable to me, given the current disposition of the environment. And I'm beginning to think the SLGT may not verify.

Agree. I'm wondering if it's even going to rain (sarcasm).

pritchlaw

Reaction score
If this doesn't do anything, I think a lot of people will start paying less attention to severe weather outlooks more than 24 hours out from the event. In my area, we've had several consecutive events forecast 2 days out to be fairly significant and turn out to be pretty much nothing. When that happens too many times in a row, people get real cynical.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
WKRG (Mobile) discussing severe threats today.

Matt Grantham

Meteorologist
Reaction score
If this doesn't do anything, I think a lot of people will start paying less attention to severe weather outlooks more than 24 hours out from the event. In my area, we've had several consecutive events forecast 2 days out to be fairly significant and turn out to be pretty much nothing. When that happens too many times in a row, people get real cynical.

3 not so stellar forecasts in a row more than 24 hours out. The event on 3/25 was overplayed by SPC. However the 3/27 event was underplayed as we wound up with numerous hail reports. And well this event...

Accuracy doesn't get you anything anymore. I've spent my entire career trying to preach science and forecasting, but nobody cares.

Last edited:

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
JP Dice is tweeting ...

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Schools are starting to make the decision to let out. Lawrence County Schools are closing at 1 pm

X

Xenesthis

Sun is out in Murfreesboro and it's already mid 70's... Spann says confidence is very low and it's the most challenging forecast his has had. Mesoscale and model information differs greatly.. should be interesting

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
I am noticing some better CAPE values trying to work their way north out of the Gulf, could the coastal convection be moving too slow and end up not preventing higher CAPE values from moving in?

sbcp.gif

Logo 468x120
Back