• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather 2024

Reaction score
Yeah, that piqued my interest, although the HRRR has an MCS moving across southern WI in the morning (ironic, because the mets at my work are forecasting sunny for the big event we have tomorrow morning followed by storms later), and nothing much in the way of robust discrete cells.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wow at that last video, that's some violent motion. It cleanly uproots a tree and throws it to the sky at about 22 seconds.
You can even see some horizontal vortices around the 0:24 mark. I doubt any of the structures it hit were well constructed, but undoubtedly significant (maybe EF2-ish?) winds there. Fortunately not hearing of any fatalities, though about 50 people were injured, some seriously.

Reaction score
Looking at this map doesn’t feel real, 3 violent tornadoes so far and every one of them are in the plains.

Meanwhile Dixie alley has been closed until further notice.
View attachment 28040
I know Reed gets sh*t on a lot for his whole
Persona, but his season prediction video verified IMO. Late start with below average tornado counts in Dixie with the Plains “awakening” after a few dormant years. Same with Trey’s video.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I know Reed gets sh*t on a lot for his whole
Persona, but his season prediction video verified IMO. Late start with below average tornado counts in Dixie with the Plains “awakening” after a few dormant years. Same with Trey’s video.
Yeah a lot of people I think forget he’s also a meteorologist, just, a bit different then the rest.

If life were a video game then Reed would be a weather weenie with max intelligence stats.

TornadoFan17

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah a lot of people I think forget he’s also a meteorologist, just, a bit different then the rest.

If life were a video game then Reed would be a weather weenie with max intelligence stats.
It's very hard to watch Reed. I understand chasing is stressful and adrenaline is high, but it feels like his crew takes it to the next level.

That being said, he knows his stuff. He has to obviously to be able to be constantly on the storms he is on.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Beautiful landspout in Estonia yesterday.
443842060_1025138969170170_3737064632414580937_n.jpg

Reaction score
It's very hard to watch Reed. I understand chasing is stressful and adrenaline is high, but it feels like his crew takes it to the next level.

That being said, he knows his stuff. He has to obviously to be able to be constantly on the storms he is on.
His crew eventually tire of him. Joel did. It’s why he has new people rotating in every so often. Guy is great at what he does, but Joel even said he just wanted to chase and not deal with all the other “stuff” that comes with chasing next to Reed

TornadoFan

Reaction score
His crew eventually tire of him. Joel did. It’s why he has new people rotating in every so often. Guy is great at what he does, but Joel even said he just wanted to chase and not deal with all the other “stuff” that comes with chasing next to Reed
Joel and Reed were really close though.

Reaction score
Looking at this map doesn’t feel real, 3 violent tornadoes so far and every one of them are in the plains.

Meanwhile Dixie alley has been closed until further notice.
View attachment 28040

Minor quibble but I wouldn't call Iowa the Plains, moreso the Midwest. The northwest quadrant (particularly along and north of US-20 and west of I-35) actually looks the most like the ideal "Plains," quite flat and open as evidenced in photos/videos of the relatively numerous tornadoes that have occurred in the area around Fort Dodge, Gilmore City, Sac City, Pomeroy, etc over the years. The southwestern part is quite hilly and with a lot of trees (although still not as bad as most of Wisconsin or Dixie Alley), one of the reasons I wasn't keen to chase there again on May 21 after doing so on April 26 this year and May 7 of last year.

Reaction score
Joel and Reed were really close though.
Absolutely. If you watch the series Reed did in 2013, it features him and Joel meeting up to hit some golf balls. Reed is trying to get him to go chase but that’s when Joel drops the line about “all the other stuff”. Just because Joel didn’t want to chase with him doesn’t mean he didn’t like him personally.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Minor quibble but I wouldn't call Iowa the Plains, moreso the Midwest. The northwest quadrant (particularly along and north of US-20 and west of I-35) actually looks the most like the ideal "Plains," quite flat and open as evidenced in photos/videos of the relatively numerous tornadoes that have occurred in the area around Fort Dodge, Gilmore City, Sac City, Pomeroy, etc over the years. The southwestern part is quite hilly and with a lot of trees (although still not as bad as most of Wisconsin or Dixie Alley), one of the reasons I wasn't keen to chase there again on May 21 after doing so on April 26 this year and May 7 of last year.
I guess it’s personal preference, I consider southwest Iowa apart of the plains since it’s also relatively flat and has limited amount of forest coverage.

Here’s the objective map showing the region’s of the United States for those curious.
1716747066493.jpeg

Clancy

Reaction score
I guess it’s personal preference, I consider southwest Iowa apart of the plains since it’s also relatively flat and has limited amount of forest coverage.

Here’s the objective map showing the region’s of the United States for those curious.
View attachment 28047
Like so many things, geography doesn't follow our need for delineation very well, and in reality none of these regions are defined in stone. That being said, the overall activity for the center third of the country has definitely been up this year.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Like so many things, geography doesn't follow our need for delineation very well, and in reality none of these regions are defined in stone. That being said, the overall activity for the center third of the country has definitely been up this year.
The map doesn’t take climate nor geography into consideration at all.

It’s just a simple presentation of sections in the U.S only used to get a bearing on things.

Back