• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2022

The severe weather season for year 2022 will be?

• Above Average

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Average

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Curious to hear from @gregassagraf if anything materialized from the severe weather risk in Brazil yesterday. The SPC has put us under a D1 MRGL, which is probably hardly news to those of you who live in more tornado-prone regions, but relatively rare (happens once or twice a year maybe) for us Cali folks.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Warning that I'm probably gonna ramble on for a bit here, but anyways:

Day started with those initial storms that I posted a photo of in my previous post. The lightning show, while cool, didn't last long and I didn't see any more strikes after about five minutes or so.

At around 11:15 I noticed some narrow rain shafts developing around me, like the one pictured here:
20220622_111424.jpg

What followed was a good 5 or 10 minutes of being soaked by one of the most torrential downpours I had seen for a long time. Oh yeah, my neighbors who had thought it was a good idea to throw a pool party during all this, abandoned their plans and went inside, which is probably what any sane person would do.

But not me!

Then the winds picked up, likely about 10 MPH sustained with gusts to around 20. The winds continued for the entire day and into the night.

My phone's battery was dying, and I had to make a phone call anyway, so I did mostly stay inside for about an hour when nothing of interest was happening. Of course I did have to periodically check to see if something would sneak up on me, but nothing did. By around 5 PM I figured nothing more was going to happen and began to settle down for the night.

That is, until about 7:30 that evening, when a potent storm cell developed directly to the south of me, and was making a direct northern beeline. What followed was an hour and a half of the most intense lightning show I have ever seen in my life. I lost count of how many strikes I saw, and I got many of them on film. Some of the ones I did get on film included one that knocked out power to buildings near the 15, and a nearby one that knocked out power to my town (we have a backup battery fortunately, so we did not lose power but some of our neighbors who don't have generators did). That one was interesting because there was a visible power flash after the strike itself, probably the transformer on the line blowing up. The storm also produced three more torrential downpours like the one I encountered in the morning.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to post the footage to my embarrasingly crappy YouTube channel or somewhere else.

Some screenshots from the footage I took showcase some of my best lightning shots to date.
Screenshot_20220622-200351_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20220623-101132_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20220623-102138_Video Player.jpg

My weather station recorded a peak gust of 23 MPH during all this, so these storms didn't quite cross the severe threshold, but for a community that gets excited to see heavy rain and snow flurries, this was an awesome experience for me. This was also probably the closest I'll get to seeing actual "tornado weather" while I live here, unless a landspout decides to sneak up on me, perhaps during a day not dissimilar to this one.

So, that's my June 22 home storm chase log!

Reaction score
Warning that I'm probably gonna ramble on for a bit here, but anyways:

Day started with those initial storms that I posted a photo of in my previous post. The lightning show, while cool, didn't last long and I didn't see any more strikes after about five minutes or so.

At around 11:15 I noticed some narrow rain shafts developing around me, like the one pictured here:
View attachment 14690

What followed was a good 5 or 10 minutes of being soaked by one of the most torrential downpours I had seen for a long time. Oh yeah, my neighbors who had thought it was a good idea to throw a pool party during all this, abandoned their plans and went inside, which is probably what any sane person would do.

But not me!

Then the winds picked up, likely about 10 MPH sustained with gusts to around 20. The winds continued for the entire day and into the night.

My phone's battery was dying, and I had to make a phone call anyway, so I did mostly stay inside for about an hour when nothing of interest was happening. Of course I did have to periodically check to see if something would sneak up on me, but nothing did. By around 5 PM I figured nothing more was going to happen and began to settle down for the night.

That is, until about 7:30 that evening, when a potent storm cell developed directly to the south of me, and was making a direct northern beeline. What followed was an hour and a half of the most intense lightning show I have ever seen in my life. I lost count of how many strikes I saw, and I got many of them on film. Some of the ones I did get on film included one that knocked out power to buildings near the 15, and a nearby one that knocked out power to my town (we have a backup battery fortunately, so we did not lose power but some of our neighbors who don't have generators did). That one was interesting because there was a visible power flash after the strike itself, probably the transformer on the line blowing up. The storm also produced three more torrential downpours like the one I encountered in the morning.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to post the footage to my embarrasingly crappy YouTube channel or somewhere else.

Some screenshots from the footage I took showcase some of my best lightning shots to date.
View attachment 14691
View attachment 14692
View attachment 14693

My weather station recorded a peak gust of 23 MPH during all this, so these storms didn't quite cross the severe threshold, but for a community that gets excited to see heavy rain and snow flurries, this was an awesome experience for me. This was also probably the closest I'll get to seeing actual "tornado weather" while I live here, unless a landspout decides to sneak up on me, perhaps during a day not dissimilar to this one.

So, that's my June 22 home storm chase log!
That is really cool.

Reaction score
Confirmed TOR now.

All reports from today have been brief (as far as I've seen), but that localized area of Kansas does seem like a significant tornado hotspot. Bennington, Tescott, Abilene/Chapman all since 2013. Feels like places like Salina, Junction City and Manhattan are overdue for a bad hit. Come to think of it, the mid-size and major cities of the Plains (apart from Moore) have all been remarkably lucky in recent decades (or else they were remarkably unlucky throughout the 1960s and 70's with multiple F4+ hits on places like Lubbock, Topeka and Wichita Falls.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Curious to hear from @gregassagraf if anything materialized from the severe weather risk in Brazil yesterday. The SPC has put us under a D1 MRGL, which is probably hardly news to those of you who live in more tornado-prone regions, but relatively rare (happens once or twice a year maybe) for us Cali folks.
Yeah. No major structure was hit but some of the radar scans look insane!

Fortunately there was a line of storms that passed through the region early in the morning that severely undercut the potential of this event.

Never the less there are some unconfirmed instances of (probably) tornadic damage!

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Yeah. No major structure was hit but some of the radar scans look insane!

Fortunately there was a line of storms that passed through the region early in the morning that severely undercut the potential of this event.

Never the less there are some unconfirmed instances of (probably) tornadic damage!

But Raffa Santana has some awesome photos of a possible nighttime tornado, hopefully I’ll be sharing them here soon!

xJownage

Reaction score
A damaging tornado struck Goshen Township, OH moments ago. Additionally, another touchdown occured earlier north of Mount Repose.
View attachment 14765
The SVR watch on this was <5% tor probs, so the minimum the SPC can issue. What a random event. I haven't had time to look at models or obs, but does anybody who has have any insight into what caused this?

buckeye05

Reaction score
The SVR watch on this was <5% tor probs, so the minimum the SPC can issue. What a random event. I haven't had time to look at models or obs, but does anybody who has have any insight into what caused this?
Pretty sure it was an outflow boundary induced mesoscale incident. The earlier storms left a boundary there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back