• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2021

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Under a Marginal Risk for severe thunderstorms today. I understand that in most areas people don't even give such a low risk a second thought, but the last time we were under even a marginal risk in my area of SoCal, school was still in person!

buckeye05

Reaction score
I know we still have to get through Fall tornado season, but I figured I'd ask, what do you guys think has been the most violent tornado of 2021 so far? I'm talking worldwide, not US specific. My personal pick is the Hodonin, Czech Republic F4. The high-end debarking, scouring of a cobblestone parking lot, total mangling of vehicles, and total destruction of sturdy masonry structures from that one is very impressive to me. My runner up has to be the July 2 Inner Mongolia tornado. It was never rated, but was obviously very violent with ground scouring, extreme tree damage, and total disassembly of that metal transmission tower. There wasn't any structural damage to analyze though, as far as I know.

It feels strange to say, but I think 2021s most high-end events have occurred outside of the US.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I know we still have to get through Fall tornado season, but I figured I'd ask, what do you guys think has been the most violent tornado of 2021 so far? I'm talking worldwide, not US specific. My personal pick is the Hodonin, Czech Republic F4. The high-end debarking, scouring of a cobblestone parking lot, total mangling of vehicles, and total destruction of sturdy masonry structures from that one is very impressive to me. My runner up has to be the July 2 Inner Mongolia tornado. It was never rated, but was obviously very violent with ground scouring, extreme tree damage, and total disassembly of that metal transmission tower. There wasn't any structural damage to analyze though, as far as I know.

It feels strange to say, but I think 2021s most high-end events have occurred outside of the US.
Would you say there has been a single genuine violent tornado in the United States in 2021? If not, how often does that actually happen?

andyhb

Reaction score
Would you say there has been a single genuine violent tornado in the United States in 2021? If not, how often does that actually happen?
Greensboro/Centreville. Just didn't hit much at its peak and missed the towns in Bibb County.

A Guy

Reaction score
Reaction score

I did not even know that the Czechia Republic can see tornadoes.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I did not even know that the Czechia Republic can see tornadoes.
Every country in the world gets tornadoes at least once in a while. While Czechia isn’t particularly tornado-prone, other countries in Europe such as Italy, Poland, France, Belgium, Germany, and western Russia see strong tornadoes on a yearly basis.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Every country in the world gets tornadoes at least once in a while. While Czechia isn’t particularly tornado-prone, other countries in Europe such as Italy, Poland, France, Belgium, Germany, and western Russia see strong tornadoes on a yearly basis.
A few days ago I stumbled upon an article talking about how Russia sees "1-2 tornadoes per year". I laughed. Maybe 1-2 strong to violent tornadoes per year on an average year (even that seems like an understatement honestly), but given Russia's massive size and somewhat favorable tornado climatology (particularly in the western part of the country), there is ZERO chance the entire country sees just one or two total tornadoes per year.

Tennie

Reaction score
A few days ago I stumbled upon an article talking about how Russia sees "1-2 tornadoes per year". I laughed. Maybe 1-2 strong to violent tornadoes per year on an average year (even that seems like an understatement honestly), but given Russia's massive size and somewhat favorable tornado climatology (particularly in the western part of the country), there is ZERO chance the entire country sees just one or two total tornadoes per year.

Well, there's always the possibility (likelihood?) that more tornadoes do actually occur, but for whatever reasons (tornadoes hitting areas with low population densities, poor visibility, etc.), many end up not being officially reported.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well, there's always the possibility (likelihood?) that more tornadoes do actually occur, but for whatever reasons (tornadoes hitting areas with low population densities, poor visibility, etc.), many end up not being officially reported.
I am pretty sure a lot of Russian tornadoes just flat out don't end up being added to official totals for whatever reason even if they are caught on camera. For all we know tornadoes are only added to the official total if they cause damage, and since many of them remain in very rural areas, less of them will cause damage. Ultimately I have no idea what's really going on though.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Anyone else noticing the lack of significant tornadoes in South America this year? There’s usually at least one or two.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Interesting. I don't recall any notable tornadoes in 2020 either.
There was an EF3 that caused major damage in Agua Doce, Brazil along with other small villages nearby on August 14, 2020. There was also an unrated but significant tornado that destroyed several homes in Ireneopolis, Brazil that same afternoon.

Back