• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Archive Severe Weather 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

akt1985

Reaction score
I think 4/27 is Panoply weekend here in Huntsville. I can almost guarantee we’ll go under a tornado warning that weekend at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4/27 is also the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, Tennessee. I prefer that event over Panoply.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Looks like the front should clear in time for Dega but we’ll see in about 5 days. May be a refreshing day to watch cars go fast. Xfinity may be Monday or better yet before the main show.

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not something you want to be #1 in! From Eric Snitil of WSFA:

Alabama is #1 in the country this year in #tornado count. The last time Alabama led the nation was (no surprise) 2011. Nearly one quarter of all tornadoes in the United States in 2019 have touched down in Alabama. Think about that for a second...1 out of every 4 tornadoes this year have been here.

Next threat for tornadoes will be late Thursday into early Friday.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
From March 14 through a couple weeks ago, we were at state record territory too; was the most prolific tornado year on record in AL for a couple weeks.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I thought maybe this would be a good thread to ask this question:

"How would any of you explain to the general public Dr. Forbes/TWC TORCon scale, vs how the rest of us who know what it takes to forecast tornadogenesis via model data, experience, AFD's, and SPC analysis, etc.?

Most of those I have tried to explain TORCON just seem to live or die by TORCON?

Thanks for any input...

Reaction score
Pattern looks like a yawn fest for awhile moving forward... disappointing in a way ....
Yep. Like I've said before, while you definitely don't want to see catastrophic tornadoes where people are killed and entire towns are destroyed, a sleepy pattern isn't ideal either.

I've said it before, but since I got into severe weather in the fall of 2014, 2016 has been my favorite severe season hands down. An active season* with way more amazing supercells and tornadoes than you can count (including some flat out beautiful tornadoes in February) and very few deaths or injuries? That's a rarity, and I hope there are more seasons like that in the future. 2008 and 2010 were also amazing seasons from a chaser's perspective, but they had higher death tolls.

*The official tornado count for 2016 was a bit below average, I know, but the wind and hail reports were above average, and there were a lot of brief/weak tornadoes that the NWS offices never seemed to document. Counting those ones, I would guesstimate that the 2016 tornado season was near-average or slightly above average overall.

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yea, it looks like we won't have anything to track for at least a week and a half or so.

darkskys25

Reaction score
Are we done with Severe weather in Dixie for a while? Cause if so we really deserve it.

It certainly appears that way. In May the tornado count takes a nose dive. There is nothing really all that interesting in the long range right now. Beside the occasional pop pulse storms it may be over for the most part.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It certainly appears that way. In May the tornado count takes a nose dive. There is nothing really all that interesting in the long range right now. Beside the occasional pop pulse storms it may be over for the most part.
Just wouldn’t go all out and say quiet Done just yet in Dixie ... but things should start migrating bit north ... think midsouth like Tennessee Arkansas Kentucky areas going have some action towards end this month into early part May.

akt1985

Reaction score
What’s the system coming through the South next Thursday-Saturday with a chance of thundershowers? I know that the severe weather pattern moves north and west in May. However, I hope the pattern is not so active over Kentucky the second weekend of May that I have to cancel my trip to Mammoth Cave.

Reaction score
On the plus side we are moving towards Plains season, which usually means more photogenic and less deadly storms.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I found this graphic from the Iowa Enviromental Mesonet group interesting. January 1st until now.

15701555755650117.png

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I found this graphic from the Iowa Enviromental Mesonet group interesting. January 1st until now.

View attachment 1570View attachment 1570
For Little Rock to have only 6 is mind blowing .... course areas like Little Rock Memphis tend pick up by mid April... interesting see if that trend continues next few weeks ...

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I love the Iowa mesonet website, so many great weather features on there. Model temperature verification statistics, the weather radar time machine, AFD logs, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back