• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 5/26-28, 2017

ARCC

Reaction score
Just a warning, those south of the predicted area need to keep a very close eye on this MCS as well. The HRRR has this weakening on BHM's door step. Do not be surprised if this thing make it farther south than forcasted. The HRRR show's surface based capes still around 2000 over night with enough shear to sustain it and dry air aloft for a decent wind threat. These things tend to last longer than predicted.

If it does fall apart as predicted, watch for severe gusts as the storms collaspe.

bwalk

Reaction score
I think you are probably right, ARCC. Derecho doing heavy (or worse) damage right now in Tennessee - Knoxville to Chattanooga area. Residents reporting widespread power outages & sounds of falling trees.

Edit: Don't think the wind has reached Chattanooga yet. Knoxville/Maryville area in the crosshairs right now.

Last edited:

bwalk

Reaction score
The Dougherty tornado is spotter confirmed. I am a little surprised at the location as I thought the area of concern was northeast Ok into southwest Missouri. But, I have not been keeping up w/ the larger picture.

akt1985

Reaction score
I think you are probably right, ARCC. Derecho doing heavy (or worse) damage right now in Tennessee - Knoxville to Chattanooga area. Residents reporting widespread power outages & sounds of falling trees.

Edit: Don't think the wind has reached Chattanooga yet. Knoxville/Maryville area in the crosshairs right now.

TWC reporting that almost all of Knoxville is without power. Not a good weekend to be camping in the Smokies.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Memphis, TN getting crushed with damaging winds!

bwalk

Reaction score
NWS: "At 1128 PM CDT, a confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado was
located near Ringling, OK., moving east at 20 mph." PDS issued.

bwalk

Reaction score
Ardmore, OK. needs to be paying attention to that tornadic supercell moving in its general direction. The problem is it is midnight & many people are asleep. I could not imagine living in Ok. & not having multiple ways of being warned as you sleep (personal weather radios, cell phone alerts, town sirens, etc).
But many people have a shoulder shrug mentality about the weather - even in Ok., of all places.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bow is surging through NW AL and heading this way... it is not weakening at all. Preparing for power outages I guess

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's weakening a bit but the outflow looks incredibly intense. Expecting severe winds here in a matter of minutes. There's significant wind damage to the west...

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Mostly passed here, south of the strongest echoes; seems as though the apex is moving east instead of southeast now. The line here has fragmented a bit and wind was pretty tame in my area (tonight I'm just S of the Winston county line)

NwAla

Reaction score
A big part of Franklin County AL is without power this morning with trees down all over the county. There also is roof damage in Hamilton.

weatherguy

Reaction score
Got power on just before 9pm today in here in Franklin county, AL. Power poles in some large open fields were snapped by only the wind force alone (around 70 mph gusts), so power was off for over 19 hours. I was amazed by this bow, I've never witnessed a bow produce such long lasting severe winds as this did (high winds lasted around 20 to 30 minutes), so I dubbed this the 30 minute Ivan. lol

Back