• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 25 March 2021

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Now that I could see approaching violent. Good bit of debarking there. That's a juniper (called cedar here but botanically a large juniper not related to cedars) which has flaky bark which may make it easier to peel off, but it's nevertheless the worst tree damage I've seen there.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
With the Greensboro-columbiana tornado preliminary track length being 80.37 mi, it's the sceond longest track in Dixie after Super Outbreak, only 3.73 mi less than the Topeka-Oak Vale EF3 in the Easter Outbreak las year.Would like to find out if there's any upgrade to its length with further investigation

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up there unless there's way worse damage somewhere that was inaccessible by drone, but yeah that thing had an absurdly long track. Shades of the last Brent-Centreville intense tornado in 1973 honestly. Staying down that long is an incredible feat.

Also the "EF3" from 4/27 that just missed Brent/Centreville to the northwest. Honestly it seems like just a matter of time before those cities and/or Forkland/Demopolis/Greensboro is dealt a devastating hit after so many close calls in just 10 years.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Worth noting, the TDS/VROT chart did well with the two tornadoes preceding the Newnan tornado, which were rated at 120 and 125 respectively.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
received_2754418954852808.jpeg

Came across brutal, lingering reminders of 3/25 today, remnants of a mobile home thrown across a road and some trees and into ATN RR's tracks in Wellington. Apparently the railroad was told no one died in this mobile home, though six died elsewhere in the tornado. Deadliest of the day if I recall.

A new mobile home is in place where the old one was, along with an underground shelter, but the damage is still quite stark. I imagine watching a train pass here is surreal

Last edited:

locomusic01

Reaction score
Came across brutal, lingering reminders of 3/25 today, remnants of a mobile home thrown across a road and some trees and into AT&N RR's tracks in Wellington. Apparently the railroad was told no one died in this mobile home, though six died elsewhere in the tornado. Deadliest of the day if I recall.

A new mobile home is in place where the old one was, along with an underground shelter, but the damage is still quite stark. I imagine watching a train pass here is surreal
Not too far from my house we had a small EF2 come through a number of years ago and it's still a bit weird to drive by parts of the path. I can't imagine how unsettling it must be to cross the path of a high-end tornado for years afterward, especially for folks who live in the area.

I talked to an old-timer just outside of Tupelo last year and he said that, if you know where to look, you can still occasionally come across little remnants of the '36 tornado. Nothing like this, of course, but still.

Reaction score
Yikes, I'm surprised the debris has not been cleared out of the tracks. They must not be used that often.

The path of the Stoughton tornado of 2005 was quite evident for several years, I drive across it every time I visit my parents. It is less so now unless you know where to look, you can still see certain areas where the trees appear "mangled" with broken-off trunks sticking up above the live parts.

I believe the vicinity of where the tornado's path crossed the tracks of the Wisconsin and Southern Railroad did not have any structures in the immediate area, so it's unlikely there was a similarly large amount of debris deposited on them. However, the railroad did put a slow order in place until the tracks could be thoroughly cleaned and inspected.

Back