• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Threat 25 March 2021

buckeye05

Reaction score
What did the NWS have to gain from keeping the rating at EF4 though? Clearly Rozel definitely didn't warrant an EF4 rating though why would they insist on keeping that rating?
Ego. Whether they want to admit I’d or not. STEM professionals generally don’t take kindly to being proven wrong or corrected.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Actually, looks like the former radar site DID get hit by either the tornado or the RFD, with roof damage and trees down around it; plausibly violent tornadoes hitting the same radar site in 1973 and 2021

WhirlingWx

Reaction score
I remember seeing this myself earlier, but I can't remember who it was from. I know it was from the NW of Greensboro - Columbiana long-tracker, and I think this was closer to the Greensboro area. Greet the analysis itself with healthy skepticism, because I don't know if I've ever heard of a case where a full tree has been thrown straight into the ground AND then snapped again at the base (of course, I could be wrong), but regardless that is some pretty intense damage IMO. At the very least, this fits the "tree snapped off at the base" description to a tee, I would imagine... Might be some debarking of the tree too, *but can't confirm.* Grass around it can be seen as pretty intact, take that however you will.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I second this. @CheeselandSkies was the one who said it, I believe.

I based it on a quote from the 1990s Weather Channel documentary Enemy Wind when the narrator was describing the ranges of tornado size, duration and intensity in layman's terms: "It can dip out of the sky to almost capriciously destroy one home while leaving its neighbor untouched. Or it can cut a gash a mile wide, turning all it contacts into matchsticks."

buckeye05

Reaction score
I remember seeing this myself earlier, but I can't remember who it was from. I know it was from the NW of Greensboro - Columbiana long-tracker, and I think this was closer to the Greensboro area. Greet the analysis itself with healthy skepticism, because I don't know if I've ever heard of a case where a full tree has been thrown straight into the ground AND then snapped again at the base, but regardless that is some pretty intense damage IMO. At the very least, this fits the "tree snapped off at the base" description to a tee, I would imagine... Might be some debarking of the tree too, *but can't confirm.*

Interesting stuff.
According to some recent stuff I’ve viewed from the AMS, the tree damage portion of the EF-scale is about to get a major overhaul. Apparently, recent studies have shown that tree damage like this, where they are snapped off or pulled out of ground and carried away from where they were rooted, is indicative of a certain intensity. What degree of intensity that this is correlated to, is unknown to me (I think it’s an EF3+ indicator based on some clues from recent years). In any case a “trees lofted” DI will be added to the scale in the near future.

I also have reason to believe that they are going to up the wind speed estimates for when debarking starts to occur, as it currently starts in the EF2 range. More recent damage studies have shown that major debarking is more indicative of a violent tornado than previously thought. I think many of us have already caught onto this concept years ago.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Screenshot_20210326-221422_YouTube.jpg
Slabbed home in Greensboro

Screenshot_20210326-221457_YouTube.jpg
Probably the most intense damage I've seen from the entire outbreak. Trees snapped and appear to have been partially debarked. Also ground scouring? Not sure. I do believe the empty slab was most likely an outbuilding however.

Matt Grantham

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I remember seeing this myself earlier, but I can't remember who it was from. I know it was from the NW of Greensboro - Columbiana long-tracker, and I think this was closer to the Greensboro area. Greet the analysis itself with healthy skepticism, because I don't know if I've ever heard of a case where a full tree has been thrown straight into the ground AND then snapped again at the base, but regardless that is some pretty intense damage IMO. At the very least, this fits the "tree snapped off at the base" description to a tee, I would imagine... Might be some debarking of the tree too, *but can't confirm.* Grass around it can be seen as pretty intact, take that however you will.

I can confirm that entire trees were in the sky. There were dozens of them falling from many hundreds if not thousands of feet high. It was at this point we realized the tornado was going to cut us off and we turned around. I'll try to post the video later today.

Matthew70

Reaction score
View attachment 7748

View attachment 7749
Probably the most intense damage I've seen from the entire outbreak. Trees snapped and appear to have been partially debarked. Also ground scouring? Not sure. I do believe the empty slab was most likely an outbuilding however.
To me it appears a possible trailer there. Hence the stairs further up from the slab. Spot for trailer then concrete slab for back patio. Just maybe.

actually upon further review. Most definitely a trailer. See the center blocks to left.

WhirlingWx

Reaction score
I do believe the empty slab was most likely an outbuilding however.
Definitely leaning toward that being an outbuilding or trailer, as the foundation looks pretty small and I see like zero anchoring (at least from this aerial perspective). I agree though about this tornado having caused the most extreme damage compared to anything else I've seen of this outbreak.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Definitely looks like a slab for a trailer or outbuilding to me, pieces are in pretty big chunks too

Matt Grantham

Meteorologist
Reaction score
View attachment 7748

View attachment 7749

The top image was some kind of weak home/building under construction. I had to crawl over about 100 pines to get back in there to check the mobile home 100 feet away for victims. Very minimal damage to the mobile home.

Matthew70

Reaction score
I remember seeing this myself earlier, but I can't remember who it was from. I know it was from the NW of Greensboro - Columbiana long-tracker, and I think this was closer to the Greensboro area. Greet the analysis itself with healthy skepticism, because I don't know if I've ever heard of a case where a full tree has been thrown straight into the ground AND then snapped again at the base (of course, I could be wrong), but regardless that is some pretty intense damage IMO. At the very least, this fits the "tree snapped off at the base" description to a tee, I would imagine... Might be some debarking of the tree too, *but can't confirm.* Grass around it can be seen as pretty intact, take that however you will.

Most definitely was shot into ground. The ground around it would not be mulched if not. Plus easy to see there is no signs of stump or roots. Also the grass would not be as full under the tree if it was there and size of the wood (stump) into the ground was the size of tree. If that makes sense.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The top image was some kind of weak home/building under construction. I had to crawl over about 100 pines to get back in there to check the mobile home 100 feet away for victims. Very minimal damage to the mobile home.

What level of tree damage did you see first-hand in that area? Seeing aerials showing fairly high end forest damage but on the ground confirmation is way better

Matt Grantham

Meteorologist
Reaction score
What level of tree damage did you see first-hand in that area? Seeing aerials showing fairly high end forest damage but on the ground confirmation is way better

The image with the destroyed house, a mother and child or children were pulled out of the bathroom. I didn't get a great look at the entire area. There were other structures destroyed and massive tree damage. The tornado was massive at that point.

Matthew70

Reaction score
Question when considering ground scaring. Is the condition of soil considered? Like wetter soil would be easier to scar correct?

Matthew70

Reaction score
The image with the destroyed house, a mother and child or children were pulled out of the bathroom. I didn't get a great look at the entire area. There were other structures destroyed and massive tree damage. The tornado was massive at that point.
Thank you for your input and helping others.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'd say hardwoods are probably harder to snap right now given being barely leaved out, with heavy crowns of leaves allowing more surface for the wind, BUT in most instances those are pine forests which of course remain evergreen so it probably doesn't matter that much

Back