• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 12-15 March 2021

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Meso definitely seems to be weakening, might be time to watch the cells to the SW for a bit

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tornado warning for Johnson and Miami Cos. in eastern Kansas, on the fringes of the other marginal area. It doesn't quite include Olathe, but it's close. Doesn't look that impressive, but the Kansas City radar is down (naturally) and the Topeka radar is pretty far away.

AL_ham_op

Reaction score
Soooo small but what a structure for a grungy low end marginal day in Dixie

View attachment 6936
Funny enough I'm still learning how to "read" the radar feeds and had just downloaded Radarscope during my lunch break, then watched a few videos talking about how to identify rotation on the feeds. I saw that line of storms approaching Bham in Radarscope and though to myself "Huh, that really looks like broad rotation" then I though "Nah, surely it's something else, it's not supposed to be THAT bad today."

Makes me feel good that I correctly identified it when I saw it after only playing around with the app for a few minutes.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Couple mini-supercells down near Jackson, MS

Screenshot_20210315-183804.png

Edit: eastern cell just got warned for half dollar sized hail

Last edited:

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Moderate Risk for Tomorrow. 15 percent chance for significant tornadoes it seems like. wonder if this event will be more significant and active

Just FYI... This upcoming event is being discussed in detail in this thread:

speedbump305

Reaction score
Just FYI... This upcoming event is being discussed in detail in this thread:

Thank you for telling me

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The storm north of Greenville, AL south of Montgomery is now severe warned and rotation looks to be tightening up a little bit. Still quite broad rotation though.

Reaction score
The storm north of Greenville, AL south of Montgomery is now severe warned and rotation looks to be tightening up a little bit. Still quite broad rotation though.
It's currently ingesting a weaker cell. Still maintaining its semi-discrete nature.

speedbump305

Reaction score
“ Strong 0-3 km shear near 30-40 kt will already be in place with enlarged low level hodographs evident. Given weaker forcing, this activity will have an opportunity to remain more discrete and any cell will quickly become a supercell capable of producing strong tornadoes. As a 40-50 kt low level jet increases around 00-03z, intense supercells are expected to advance eastward along with the cold front across MS and into AL overnight. This will bring a second round of significant severe storms capable of intense tornadoes, large hail and intense damaging winds across much of MS/AL. If these trends are maintained, an upgrade to a High risk could be necessary with the initial Day 1 Convective Outlook at 06z tonight “

Plausible high risk possible if these ingredients are maintained.

WhirlingWx

Reaction score
Tornado warning for Copiah, Lawrence, and Simpson counties in MS for an isolated supercell with really classic structure

EDIT: sorry if I missed this earlier, but I don't know if we're using this thread or the other for storms today.

Reactions: KoD
Back