• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Recommendations please

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
What are the best desktop weather and radar apps for the Mac desktop?

I have Radar Scope and Storm Radar on my phone but I was looking for apps on my computer.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I like to use WRAL's iControl radar webpage for desktop & phone because it has a CONUS mosaic overlayed on Google satellite imagery, updates frequently and has 6 hour history loops.

http://www.wral.com/weather/iradar/page/2708786/?version=iframe_v2

While the resolution isn't as good as radarscope it still beats NWS mosaics. The reflectivity is over-saturated as well (where 40 decibal on icontrol looks like 50 would on standard base reflectivity nws/radarscope), it is nice to see the big picture & loop 2-6 hours over 5-12 seconds.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Radarscope is the best on Mac. On Windows, the GR products are the best out there. (IMHO)

I saw it in the app store but it had a few bad reviews. I was hesitant to put $30 down on an app that was questionable at first glance.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
I saw it in the app store but it had a few bad reviews. I was hesitant to put $30 down on an app that was questionable at first glance.
The people who leave bad reviews for RadarScope are usually people who don’t know what they are talking about.

One thing about RadarScope, and you can read about this on their website, to get access to the more advanced features (like lightning data for instance) you have to get one of their RadarScope Pro subscriptions (and that’s how it is on the mobile app, so you’re probably familiar) The Tier 1 subscription is $10 a year, the Tier 2 is $100 per year. You can read about the differences in them on their website.

Back