• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Random Comment Thread

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Driving to our hunting club this weekend (we take a lot of backroads after we exit 65), there was a sign that said: “Prescibed Burning Ahead”
I’ve seen controlled burning signs but I’ve never seen it prescribed!! ‍

Kory

Reaction score
Driving to our hunting club this weekend (we take a lot of backroads after we exit 65), there was a sign that said: “Prescibed Burning Ahead”
I’ve seen controlled burning signs but I’ve never seen it prescribed!! ‍
A part of the master plan to get the old growth, longleaf pine forest ecosystem back in Alabama. And in that case, foresters must have a specific intensity to the fire otherwise you can completely reset the ecosystem if not burned properly.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A part of the master plan to get the old growth, longleaf pine forest ecosystem back in Alabama. And in that case, foresters must have a specific intensity to the fire otherwise you can completely reset the ecosystem if not burned properly.
Cool!! I had no idea the variation of fire intensity in these burns!

Kory

Reaction score
Cool!! I had no idea the variation of fire intensity in these burns!
Went and looked at a prescribed burn that got too intense in the Talladega National Forest in Bibb County and it ended up making a swath of dozens of acres look like a savannah. It will take years for it to recover so they'll probably skip one of the 5-7 year burn rotation on that one.

Took some graduate level forestry classes a few years back.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Went and looked at a prescribed burn that got too intense in the Talladega National Forest in Bibb County and it ended up making a swath of dozens of acres look like a savannah. It will take years for it to recover so they'll probably skip one of the 5-7 year burn rotation on that one.

Took some graduate level forestry classes a few years back.
I learned something new today! Thanks!

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It’s a beautiful
morning, I’m so excited!! I had to keep it a secret all weekend when I found out but I just posted my forecast for the next 5 days on the NWS BMX page as their guest armchair meteorologist.
Afterwards we met with Bigfoot and had breakfast. He told me to tell y’all to just be patient, he has a big announcement concerning his next stand up comedy dates, two are scheduled at the BJCC next month. Also, I talked to the major of Birmingham and he said the construction crew has been working at night and with the help of some magic beans, 20/59 will open this Wednesday.
Last but not least, CNN and other liberal main stream media has publicly apologized to Donald Trump, they said they shouldn’t have let the fact that he’s orange and has weird hair be an excuse to attack him 24/7. Trump tweeted “I just received the biggest apology that’s ever been given to ANY human-being ever in a lifetime. No person will receive such a huge apology in the future because it was huge folks, massive and in return I told them, I will not accept this huge, massive apology and nananana!”

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
It’s a beautiful
morning, I’m so excited!! I had to keep it a secret all weekend when I found out but I just posted my forecast for the next 5 days on the NWS BMX page as their guest armchair meteorologist.
Afterwards we met with Bigfoot and had breakfast. He told me to tell y’all to just be patient, he has a big announcement concerning his next stand up comedy dates, two are scheduled at the BJCC next month. Also, I talked to the major of Birmingham and he said the construction crew has been working at night and with the help of some magic beans, 20/59 will open this Wednesday.
Last but not least, CNN and other liberal main stream media has publicly apologized to Donald Trump, they said they shouldn’t have let the fact that he’s orange and has weird hair be an excuse to attack him 24/7. Trump tweeted “I just received the biggest apology that’s ever been given to ANY human-being ever in a lifetime. No person will receive such a huge apology in the future because it was huge folks, massive and in return I told them, I will not accept this huge, massive apology and nananana!”

LOL

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just heard a staggering stat on FoxNews -- 52 acres of timber inside Notre Dame. Built over 800 years ago.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I can barely watch the coverage, it's horrifyingly painful to see even on the screen. Sickening. By far one of the bigger tragedies of the new millennium

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If there's any good news it looks relatively contained now, they said they have saved the bell towers AND much of the interior is surprisingly in decent shape thanks to the vault absorbing most of the falling roof. But not gonna uncross fingers yet

Reaction score
My younger sister (19 years old) was just diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. Personally I always suspected it, but my parents have been in denial about it and are now convinced it's because of the "chemicals" and non-organic food she's eaten. Me, my sister, and her boyfriend have been trying to convince my parents that autism isn't caused by diet, but they're not budging. Then again my mother in particular has always been a tinfoil hat type.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My younger sister (19 years old) was just diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. Personally I always suspected it, but my parents have been in denial about it and are now convinced it's because of the "chemicals" and non-organic food she's eaten. Me, my sister, and her boyfriend have been trying to convince my parents that autism isn't caused by diet, but they're not budging. Then again my mother in particular has always been a tinfoil hat type.
Well I am sorry to hear that but at least with that diagnosis a lot of treatment options open up as well as a better understanding of what is going on with her life. When something like that parents always look inward to find where they failed. The internet doesn't help that at all because of all these non-educated people just making up stuff. I often wonder what the founders of the internet think about their creation now-a-days. Exchange of information is a great thing, when it is accurate.
Let us know if we can help with anything. Always here if you need to vent. The other admins and mods were discussing something the other day and @KoD mentioned the fact that we are family. I firmly believe in that statement.

akt1985

Reaction score
Has anyone watched Jeopardy lately? There is a contestant from Las Vegas named James Holzhauer who has won over $850,000 in less than two weeks. He bets big on Double Jeopardy and Final Jeopardy because he’s a professional sports gambler. There is a chance if he keeps betting big and winning that he could surpass Ken Jennings’ $2.5 million dollar win record on Jeopardy in just half the time Jennings was on the show.

Back