• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Uh..."pyro-meso"? This is four hours of the Caldor Fire on the 17th; per current reports today, it's growing and 0% contained. Wonder if there will be pyrotornado warnings on this.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
The March 6, 2017 Southern Plains wildfire outbreak is a completely overshadowed and basically forgotten event despite the extent of devastation that occurred. 7 people were killed, 1.2 million acres burned, and at least 87 structures were destroyed. Some fires ran 40+ miles in only 5 hours. In addition, the fires generated at least 2 fire vortices that were visible on radar, the only such case of that occurring on the plains that I know of. One had a rotational velocity of 43.7 kts while the 2nd one had a rotational velocity of 38.4 kts. This Vrot is usually associated with EF1-EF2 tornadoes.

E_hMU4YX0AMjW7W.jpg
E_hMWnuXMAMnrTb.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

226799912_10219494773349341_7960245953112255481_n.jpg

226718598_10219494767749201_8125995435762735681_n.jpg

Reaction score
That’s amazing. That’s one of the largest and most well defined pyro tornadoes I’ve ever seen.
I wonder if stuff like this happens more often then we think but only now is it being readily documented. I also wonder if the increase in wildfires due to climate change is also a factor...

buckeye05

Reaction score
I wonder if stuff like this happens more often then we think but only now is it being readily documented. I also wonder if the increase in wildfires due to climate change is also a factor...
I think one of the craziest things about that video is the multiple-vortex structure. Never seen anything like that with a pyro tornado.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Apparent pyro tornado near Weston, Oregon yesterday.
Edit: Actually, this might have been a regular tornado that just happened to be near a wildfire. I'm not completely sure either way.

There were no major wildfires in Oregon recently, that was a tornado from 2018 that passed near a wildfire in Colorado. It was not related to a pyrocumulonimbus so it is not a pyrotornado.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Yup you're right. I saw something about wildfire damage in the SPC report and put two and two together. I'll get rid of the post.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Speaking of pyrocumulonimbus clouds, there are some incredible photos of this New Mexico fire, but AFAIK, no pyrotornado reports yet. I couldn't find any, anyway, but this seems a likely candidate for spawning one -- or does mountainous terrain inhibit those? (I know it doesn't for tornadoes).

Northern NM is very hilly (lived in ABQ for a couple of years back in the 80s).

Last edited:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
A day late on this anniversary, but still: the nightmare scenario of a natural pyrotornado going through a major city happened in 1923, per that link.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
The Weather Channel has this video of a fire whirl near "a volcano" in Indonesia. It is a fire whirl, not volcanic in origin.

The volcano might be almost anywhere on volcano-studded Java, which is a tinderbox right now at the end of a very dry dry season, but because a flare is mentioned, it's probably Bromo, per this news story (Indonesian, but with video; just click "x" in upper right if an ad appears).

Here's more video and info on the fire, which Twitter can translate (the tweet's text, anyway, and yes, there is a Teletubbies Hill in Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park--Indonesians are amazing).

PS: This volcanic group is gorgeous, and very active.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Weather Channel has this video of a fire whirl near "a volcano" in Indonesia. It is a fire whirl, not volcanic in origin.

The volcano might be almost anywhere on volcano-studded Java, which is a tinderbox right now at the end of a very dry dry season, but because a flare is mentioned, it's probably Bromo, per this news story (Indonesian, but with video; just click "x" in upper right if an ad appears).

Here's more video and info on the fire, which Twitter can translate (the tweet's text, anyway, and yes, there is a Teletubbies Hill in Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park--Indonesians are amazing).

PS: This volcanic group is gorgeous, and very active.
The fire in question was due to someone using a flare for a pre-wedding event in the Bromo volcanic field.

BMKG Juanda dubbed this event as "dust devil"

Back