• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Weather-Ready Nation Prepare Before The Storm (04APR17 - 07APR17)

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As a part of our new Ambassadorship with NOAA's Weather-Ready Nation initiative, we are providing a few tips to hopefully help you plan for this week full of severe weather events for the southeast.

The primary threats for this week include Severe Thunderstorms that could bring:
  • Winds in excess of 60+ mph
  • Hail
  • Flooding
  • Tornadoes
What you can do before the storm.

At Home
  • Take a moment to walk around your home. Remove or secure objects (i.e. toys, lawn ornaments, building materials, etc) that could become projectiles in high wind scenarios.
  • Check doors and windows to ensure that seals are tight to prevent blowing rain.
  • Learn where and how to safely turn off gas, water and electricity in your home.
  • Check the batteries in your weather radio, flashlights and smoke detectors and ensure they are is in working order.
  • Perform preventive maintenance and keep extra fuel for equipment that could help after a storm strikes (i.e. chainsaw, ATV, generators)
  • Check shelter areas in your home. Ensure they are clear of heavy and glass objects that could harm you during a storm. Stockpile items to entertain and keep kids (and adults) comfortable during long duration events. If you have pets, stock up a few treats to help comfort animals during a storm as well as a leech in you need to leave quickly.
  • Keep battery powered AM/FM radio in your severe weather shelter area.
  • While sheltered keep phones charged.
At Work or School
  • Review severe weather plans for your workplace or school. If you can't find them ask!
  • If possible, avoid parking near or under trees, power lines or light poles.
  • If you wear business attire, consider keeping a change of clothes and shoes in the car or office.
  • During severe weather, keep your phone charged.
On The Road
  • Be aware of your location and think about alternate routes to your home/work in the vent your main route is blocked.
  • Consider keeping an emergency bag in your car with basic first aid supplies, towel, flashlight, basic tools (screw drivers, pliers, adjustable wrench, gloves, etc)
  • If you end up in a storm area ensure that you are clear of power lines.
  • Take a few moments to check the air pressure in your spare tire.
Preparing Your Mobile Devices
  • Remember to have multiple app sources of information (i.e. Local TV Station Apps, Baron Threat Net, Weather Channel)
  • Check that Wireless Emergency Alerts are enabled on your device (https://www.fema.gov/frequently-asked-questions-wireless-emergency-alerts)
  • If your internet goes out during a storm, be sure to disable your WiFi on your phone. Some phones will not automatically switch over to wireless phone data.
  • Write down key contacts phone numbers in the event your phone gets damaged or charge doesn't hold. Keep the list on your person. (I've had storm survivors ask to borrow a cell phone but not remember the number of their loved ones)
  • If you have a portable battery for your mobile device, ensure that it is fully charged.
Naturally this list isn't all inclusive and we would love to hear your suggestions as well. Take a moment to share the link to this post on your social media and consider following us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TalkWeatherNow and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TalkWeatherNow.

Additional ideas can be found in our Severe Weather Awareness Week thread as well.

Wes
amb2_logo_sml.png

Last edited:

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Consider keeping emergency supplies on you where possible. I personally keep a small rechargeable flashlight clipped to my left pocket at all times, and my pocket knife only a little less (work, certain government buildings, etc.).

• Admin

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Consider keeping emergency supplies on you where possible. I personally keep a small rechargeable flashlight clipped to my left pocket at all times, and my pocket knife only a little less (work, certain government buildings, etc.).
Good idea. I keep this crank/solar radio/flashlight/phone charger in my backpack. http://amzn.to/2ormRZD

gaikkeb

Reaction score
It's hard to make everyone understand that they need to be ready. I do what I can and I pass along information as best as possible. Some people just don't get it, I got my fingers crossed that tomorrow's storms are minimal and don't cause a loss of life. Be safe everyone!

Back