• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Need your help with a special project

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Greetings all.

The TW admin team is working on a special project at the moment which we will provide some additional details about at a later time. However, we could use your assistance with one aspect involving weather stations.

I know several operate weather stations at work or home. Could you give us some ideas of your setup and a bit more information on how well it has held up over the years? All the stations I have experience with are less than a year old so haven't really had time to age or experience any major issues.

Thanks in advance,
Wes & @Lori

John Jaye

Reaction score
I have one Wes, but like yours, it has only been in operation for a few months. No issues so far except that I think the temperature on warmer days reads a bit too high. In setting it up, the brochure said that it could take several months for it to regulate itself to the temp and the pressure. It does have a fan that is supposed to help with the temp issue. I have mine on the roof of my home because I am surrounded by some large oaks and that is the best place for accurate rainfall data.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have one Wes, but like yours, it has only been in operation for a few months. No issues so far except that I think the temperature on warmer days reads a bit too high. In setting it up, the brochure said that it could take several months for it to regulate itself to the temp and the pressure. It does have a fan that is supposed to help with the temp issue. I have mine on the roof of my home because I am surrounded by some large oaks and that is the best place for accurate rainfall data.
@John Jaye ,

Which station did you go with?

Wes

Mason Dixon

Reaction score
Acurite Pro Weather Center with AcuLink Remote Monitoring & App 01050C / 01055

died within 12 months, 2nd acurite product to last less than 12 months

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Acurite Pro Weather Center with AcuLink Remote Monitoring & App 01050C / 01055

died within 12 months, 2nd acurite product to last less than 12 months
I had one of those. It's actually sitting in my yard still but it died at 1 year.

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well that throws Acurite out. I'm thinking about this one.

Ambient Weather WS-1200-IP Observer Solar Powered Wireless Internet Remote Monitoring Weather Station with Solar Radiation and UV

http://amzn.to/2qJQovc

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well that throws Acurite out. I'm thinking about this one.

Ambient Weather WS-1200-IP Observer Solar Powered Wireless Internet Remote Monitoring Weather Station with Solar Radiation and UV

http://amzn.to/2qJQovc

From what I'm reading, it's comparable to Davis quality!!

• Admin

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
From what I'm reading, it's comparable to Davis quality!!
That was what I was reading as well and Ambient has way better interfaces to the web. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a console but welcome to the digital age I guess.

Reaction score
I use Acurite Pro but haven't had it but a few months and works OK though some days I think the temperature spikes a little high. Accurite's PC Connect software that uploads is really bare-bones but Weather Display software is really nice and works with most Weather Stations. Ambient stations may have more choices in software that will work with it being it seems like a bigger company. If you buy through Amazon some weather stations may offer a 2 yr replacement.

Michael

Reaction score
Stay away from Acurite. It's a lower end solution that has trouble with accurate temp reporting (especially during the day) and the stations themselves aren't made very well. I've went through 2 before I said no more. Now have a wireless lacrosse setup, but it's still fairly new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isopycnic

Reaction score
I have a hybrid Davis vantage pro 2/ vue. My setup is a vantage vue station sending to a Davis weather envoy and 2 Davis consoles throughout the home. The dedicated laptop sends data to VirtualVp, Davis weather link and VWS. I also have a soil temp/moisture monitor that I'm currently not isung.

I'm using a vue ISS currently because my original ISS was shorted out by ants a few years ago. The vue ISS was a cheaper alternative. The vue data is not as accurate though.

tstorm

Reaction score
I have an old wireless Davis vantage pro fan aspirate with radiation shield that I have had up and running since 2005. It has been great with little to no issues.

John Jaye

Reaction score
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer Wes, but I haven't been on much lately. I have an Acurite Pro with remote access too. I have had mine since Christmas and I bought one for my dad 2 years ago and it still works fine. I hope mine is more like his than what I have read about them here. I checked opinions and most of the stuff I read was that it was a good unit. We shall see.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
I now realize what this special project is for, props to you and the other admins for coming up with this, Wes.

I have the Ambient Weather WS-1001-Wifi. I absolutely love it, and have had no issues out of it in the year and a half or so that I've had it. It connects very easily with Wunderground to allow monitoring of its data online. It also comes with a digital screen to place inside a building for on-site monitoring.

Davis ones are obviously good, but both of the ones I've had usually ended up with issues after a few years.

Back