• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

My Dad has cancer

Tennie

Reaction score
This past Saturday morning, my Dad had severe abdominal pains, and whenever he tried to urinate, it was quite painful and there was blood in the urine. He was sent to the hospital, and scans found that one of his kidneys has a cancerous lump the size of a fist in it. His urinary troubles were caused by a blood clot that had come loose, and after several attempts to flush it out at home he went back into the hospital, where it was successfully flushed out.

The cancer is apparently at least at Stage 2; however, the scans also picked up a spot on one of his lungs. This isn't actually an uncommon occurrence where I live due to allergies (and so it may be simply unrelated), but it's also possible that the cancer may have metastasized there, indicating it's at Stage 3. We're hoping it's the former, but we won't know for sure until we get back and subsequent test results related to it.

This came as quite a shock to all of us (Dad most especially), even more so since this mess started only a few days before his 58th birthday.

However, since (as mentioned) the cancer doesn't seem to be terminal, there's still plenty of hope for him. The current plan is to have the affected kidney removed within a week or so (give or take, depending on any subsequent changes in his condition); depending on the state of the cancer, it may be possible that he'll be completely done with it after the operation and thus might not have to have any subsequent treatments done (knock on wood!).

Of course, Dad is a hard-driven man, which is how he's become quite successful (he currently runs his own financial planning business); given this, it's rather fortunate that his work has been in a slow period that is likely to continue for some time, as he'll basically be forced to not move much for the next several weeks.

We've been trying to convince him (quite well, thankfully) that he can make it, as some people have survived worse cancers, and he--we--can make it too.

I ask of you to keep him in your thoughts. If you're of a religious persuasion, please say a prayer for him. And regardless of your religious/non-religious leanings, please offer some kind messages for him. I intend to post this not only here, but also several other forums of which I am a member, and I also want to show him these threads so as to let him know that, if even complete strangers (to him, anyway) can offer moral support, then he can certainly make it.

Thank you all.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tennie,

I am so sorry to hear this. You and your family are most definitely in my thoughts and I hope they have a treatment plan in play soon.

Pam G.

Reaction score
This past Saturday morning, my Dad had severe abdominal pains, and whenever he tried to urinate, it was quite painful and there was blood in the urine. He was sent to the hospital, and scans found that one of his kidneys has a cancerous lump the size of a fist in it. His urinary troubles were caused by a blood clot that had come loose, and after several attempts to flush it out at home he went back into the hospital, where it was successfully flushed out.

The cancer is apparently at least at Stage 2; however, the scans also picked up a spot on one of his lungs. This isn't actually an uncommon occurrence where I live due to allergies (and so it may be simply unrelated), but it's also possible that the cancer may have metastasized there, indicating it's at Stage 3. We're hoping it's the former, but we won't know for sure until we get back and subsequent test results related to it.

This came as quite a shock to all of us (Dad most especially), even more so since this mess started only a few days before his 58th birthday.

However, since (as mentioned) the cancer doesn't seem to be terminal, there's still plenty of hope for him. The current plan is to have the affected kidney removed within a week or so (give or take, depending on any subsequent changes in his condition); depending on the state of the cancer, it may be possible that he'll be completely done with it after the operation and thus might not have to have any subsequent treatments done (knock on wood!).

Of course, Dad is a hard-driven man, which is how he's become quite successful (he currently runs his own financial planning business); given this, it's rather fortunate that his work has been in a slow period that is likely to continue for some time, as he'll basically be forced to not move much for the next several weeks.

We've been trying to convince him (quite well, thankfully) that he can make it, as some people have survived worse cancers, and he--we--can make it too.

I ask of you to keep him in your thoughts. If you're of a religious persuasion, please say a prayer for him. And regardless of your religious/non-religious leanings, please offer some kind messages for him. I intend to post this not only here, but also several other forums of which I am a member, and I also want to show him these threads so as to let him know that, if even complete strangers (to him, anyway) can offer moral support, then he can certainly make it.

Thank you all.

I'm so sorry to hear. Prayers is own it way to him. I hope he can beat it a lot.

Tennie

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I intend to show Dad this and other similar threads that I've posted on other forums. That should help encourage him.

Hopefully it should also help if I mentioned that Dad served about 20 years in the United States Marine Corps, and given the reputation that those guys have, hopefully it should also act as some form of encouragement. :)

Tennie

Reaction score
Last night, while visiting Dad in the hospital, I showed him this and other threads on other forums. Mom also read them as well. They have liked the messages you guys have posted, and are grateful for them.

It's also a good thing that, even before then, Dad's sense of humor had returned to him, as he'd been joking with some of the staff (and us) whenever he could.

Tennie

Reaction score
Today is Dad's birthday, and tomorrow he's scheduled to have the kidney removed. After that, he'll probably have more scans done on his body in order to make sure there aren't any more cancers elsewhere (knock on wood!), and depending on their results, he might be discharged so as to recuperate at home. Regardless of what happens, I'll try to keep you guys informed about his condition.

Once again, thank you guys for your support.

Pam G.

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I intend to show Dad this and other similar threads that I've posted on other forums. That should help encourage him.

Hopefully it should also help if I mentioned that Dad served about 20 years in the United States Marine Corps, and given the reputation that those guys have, hopefully it should also act as some form of encouragement. :)
Tell him also thank for protecting us and I will still be praying for him.

Tennie

Reaction score
Well, here's some good news:

Dad was scanned head to toe before the surgery, and it was found that the kidney was the only cancerous area. The surgery went ahead as planned, and now the cancer has been successfully removed. Dad'll have to stay in the hospital until Wednesday, though, in order to make sure there aren't any subsequent complications in that time period.

Best of luck to him, in any case! :)

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad your dad got a good report on his scan. God Bless his recovery

Tennie

Reaction score
Well, Dad managed to get out of the hospital yesterday, as the doctors determined that he was recovering more quickly than expected. This is a good thing, as my sister turns 16 today (and I doubt that he would've wanted to miss out on the action).

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Continued prayers for your Dad!!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather

Tennie

Reaction score
Yesterday, Dad managed to receive his pathology report. The basic gist of it was that the cancer was indeed confined to the kidney, and now it's been entirely removed. :)

Thank you all for the support you've given my family over this past week or so.

Back